Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone wanna help a wiring newbie : )

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, May 13, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    thsi is my first wiring job ive done on a bass before

pretty much what im lookin to do is wire a jazz/pers/jazz togather, on of switching for each pick up, and volume control, and master volume and tone

also, what extra would be involved in wiring in a onboard EQ

ive been readin as much as i can on wiring, but any tips would be great!

thanks
    Zac

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    easiest way to wire 3 pickups would be:

neck volume, middle volume, bridge volume, master (passive) tone

if you wanted to do stacked pots, then

neck/middle volume stack, bridge vol/master tone stack

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You say you want on/off switching for each pickup, as well as a volume for each pickup? If you want to combine different pickup combinations, your easiest bet would be three volumes and a tone control.

I'm not sure what type of bass you're doing this on, but that has a large part in what you'll be able to do. Basses with small control cavities can need more routing work to put in a preamp etc.

Putting in a preamp isn't necessarily that hard, but like I said, you might find yourself cramped for room. Both in the cavity, and in real estate on whatever pickguard/body you have for control knobs.

There's no one resource to point people to and say "learn this". Like most people here, I've learned stuff by trial and error over the years - starting off small by just changing pickups and then getting in to preamps , switches, coil switching etc.

Sites like dimarzio.com, bartolini.net, basslines.com, guitarelectronics.com etc have wiring diagrams for common configurations. It'll probably all look like gibberish at first, but after a while you'll get the hang of it.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    THank you much for the previous responces.

this time ill give a more accurate description

neck, jazz style middle P bass bridge Jazz

so in order, ( of wiring, not placment! )

neck volume, middle volume, middle on/off , bridge volume,combined tone, then master volume, active on/off ?

as for the room available, im routing out area for it, so far it only has one P bass cavity and a small wiring area.
    also for the pickguard, im making one out of 3/8 or 1/4 inch solid oak, so spots for controls are really unlimited for it.
    I'll post a cpl pictures when i get it presentabel ( so far its only got a paint job i did on it a cpl years ago )

any slick ideas for a lil pre amp for this puppy, nothing real top end, but with a decent sound?

sorry for the jumbled mess of typing, im pulling frets of the neck atm : P

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

not that difficult...

4 knobs:

1st knob: neck volume
    2nd knob: middle volume
    3rd knob: bridge volume
    4th knob: master tone

2 stacked knobs:

1st stacked knob: neck volume/middle volume
    2nd stacked knob: bridge volume/master tone

if he used the 2nd example with stacked knobs, he could add a stacked bass/treble knob (3rd stacked knob) and an active/passive switch (mini-toggle)

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i like the super clustered look, so im goin with all single knobs

could you put in a master volume at the end, or would that screw up the signal?

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

what type of bass is this? Is it front or rear route?

and no, I wouldn't bother with a master volume. If you want a master volume, get a volume pedal. (IMHO)

8. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You may know this:

When you solder, heat the copper wire and the other copper wire or contact point with the soldering iron, and touch the rosin core solder to the heated item. Remove the hot iron from the components quickly when the solder melts into/onto the componnents. Hold the compontents together while they cool.

Do not heat the solder and "drip" it on the wires. Do not use large lumps of solder. Do not breathe the fumes that come off the solder.

Keep the soldering iron clean by wiping it with a wet sponge.

Tim99.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think a master volume would be overkill with the other three volumes.

as for preamp, what do you want? bass/treble only? bass/mid/treble? bass/mid/treble with selectable mid frequencies?

what's your budget?

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    its a front route P bass style body.

so far im already routing out holes for 2 jazz pickups, and a lil more room for a pre amp.

budget for a preamp, whatever is cheap, i just dumped out 1500 on a new amp set up.

david-
    id like a 3 band, but dobt i can aford it atm.

and as the master volume, i turn up/down for diffrent parts of songs, so i sorta need it : /

tim- as for soldering, thats for the advice, unfortunatly ive had the experience enough times with it : / damn cheap input jacks.

11. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what's your deal? So, some words are mistyped. This isn't English class. You are apparently attempting to piss someone off. Well congratulations, you succeeded. Offer some assistance or get the hell out of the thread.

12. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

13. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

you failed in your attempt

..now back to the wiring issue....