1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone wanna Relic this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Aug 19, 2007.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]

just bought this on friday for my metal band. and i like it. i honestly do. and at the price point, it won't matter much if it gets beaten up, broken, or stolen. which got me thinking that though i'm not a big fan of relics, maybe i just needed one in my hands to change my mind. think it'll relic nicely? anyone in the central texas area wanna relic this? preferrable on the cheap... let me know!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why?

3. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    I think sunbursts tend to relic a bit better than solid colour basses, esp white and black. Its a cool looking bass tho, Ive been looking for one of the matching headstock vintage mod's for a while looks cool

4. That is a nice looking bass.

5. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'll shoot you out of a cannon, if you do......:eek:

Seriously,that is a real beauty as it is, and will draw plenty of attention...relic it the old fashioned way, use it! Oh and be sure to post pics of your relic job....say in about 15 years?
    :D

6. Trevor....how does it sound?

7. Forcemaster

Forcemaster Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Lovely looking bass there!

I personally love the relic'd look on that colour, hope you get something sorted with it!

Or just beat the **** into it for a year or two :p

8. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    great. i've never been a big fan of active electronics (i'm still not) but i got this for metal, and i kinda need it :rolleyes:

that said, it sounds like a Jazz with an active preamp. i know, oversimplified. but... let me expound. rather standard jazz sound, great low end, nice upper mid growlishness, cutting top end. the slap switch seems to bring out the ultra low, and the high mids. it's not overly bright, but just bright enough. that said, i play this with a pick (i'm a fingerstyle guy normally, but the type of metal demands a pick) and my favourite pickup setup is the bridge soloed, the slap switch on, and the mids all the way up. very punchy, very present, and nice singing high end.

definately worth checking out. oddly, most Squier's are these days.

9. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX

well, that's what i'm doing with my other basses. i like the look of the thing, but was just curious what the reaction would be to the thought of relicing it. and if i found someone and got a good offer, i'd do it.

one of my favourite basses belongs to Tommy Shannon. it's his Olympic White Jazz. ever seen it? it's only got a few patches of white left on it. it's amazing. 50422251.DSC_0134.