Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Want A 9-String?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Mar 31, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that's greg campbell's bass!

2. yep! he's having a signature bass made from Bee Basses even as I type this! I think he's going to sell his fretless 9 soon, too!

you can check out more at http://www.beebasses.com if you're curious, neptoon!

:D

from the depths of low,

Stew

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i saw the bee bass website about a year or so ago, and i thought their stuff looked really cool. i would love to try one out, and i've been waiting forever to see what the drone model is going to be like. matter of fact, the guy that builds the bee basses is a member here and asked for opinions on what would be good options/configurations for the drone. no one ever gave any input, myself included...but the guy's name is fred and his talkbass id is "effbee." here's a link to the thread...kinda old, though:

bee bass thread

take care, man

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A 9 would be nice, but not with that price tag.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Why is it called a 'bass'. It looks to me more like a hand-held..piano.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that ain't no $4k picture, that's for sure...

7. hey all,

just thought I'd get in a couple of points.

first, a 9 is an expensive proposition, no matter who you're going through. a *BASIC* Conklin 9 will run you about $4400. Greg's bass is an active model with neck-through contruction. I've played it and it's a great bass.

second, I got to meet Fred at NAMM and he's a really great guy. the design for the 9 string is in the final stages and the prototype's construction will probably begin really soon. I was lucky enough to play the 5 string fretless single cutaway that appears on the Bee Basses homepage in Anaheim and was blown away!

I am a hardcore Conklin guy, but I know I've got AT LEAST one Bee in my future. Fred Bolton is very much like Bill Conklin in that he's totally laid back and willing to work with you on your ideas. there are a few features I prefer on my basses and they're the sorts of things that Fred already does. if you're looking to go custom, I would definitely recommend contacting him.

and that's my inflated 2 cents,

from the low end,

Stew

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :sigh..:

Here we go again..... :rolleyes:

9. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    LOL, yah sorry about that, owning those two monsters didn't leave me much left to spend on a digital camera :D

They are currently mine, and I love them! But it's time for change! As I develop my playing of the nine string bass I have made many discoveries as to what makes me "ME" as a bass player! I am devoted to it, so I must keep up to date with where it takes me!

I have decided that I truly prefer bolt on necks...

I am working with Fred at BEE as my good friend Stew already mentioned!

Man am I excited!

I'd love to keep the Warriors, especially the fretless, but times are tough you know!

Besides I can't play them all at once! :bawl:

I fit in much better with the folks at BEE don't get me wrong, I truly respect the people of Warrior too, its just that Fred and I really see eye to eye about BASS, he understands what I want to do, agrees, and wants to help me get there! And we really get a long!

Now please go to ebay, and buy my Warriors!

;)

They are both up at this time ... if you want more PICS join the yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multistringBASSIST/

... there are tons of higher quality pics of both basses there!

If you want to see the auctions at ebay, search for WARRIOR BASS (the fretless does NOT say 9 string in the title)

10. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    yes, this time if we can all keep from setting this one straight, then the troll will go away...

;)

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Gregory, that's cool that you've found what you like in a bass. I think it's very interesting that the bolt-on factor is such a big one to you- and now you're going with basses built by Fred BOLTON. :)

I'd like to hear your observations on what makes you choose this way. What is it about the bolt-on that you prefer?

thanks in advance!
    hope they sell.

12. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    XUSH, I have just learned that for ME and MY hands a bolt on with maple body gives me that slap style sound, w/ the snap and high frequency clarity that I prefer... I do not like the way a neck through resonates...

I am more of a percussive bass player VS melodic...

What are YOUR thoughts?

13. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    The PICS at both auctions are horrible! I apologize. For any of you who are interested in seeing more PICS at slightly higher quality...

I thought it might be appropriate to invite you to join my yahoo group specifically for multistringBASSISTS

The URL is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multistringBASSIST/

If you would join, and go to the photos section at the groups home page, you will find SEVERAL JPEG pictures available of both of the basses.

Once a member, go to the home page. Click "PHOTOS" at your left hand side of the screen.

Then click the folder titled "Gorgeous Luthiery"
    Then click the folder titled "Warrior MSBs"
    Then click the folder titled "Gregory Bruce Campbell"

Browse a bit here ... you will see JPEG PICS of both my fretted and fretless Warrior 9 strings. Both are currently up for auction on e-bay.

You can always leave the group after you have viewed the pictures if you like. ;)

14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Gregory Bruce Campbell! :eek:

Are you the Colonel from Metal Gear Solid? You really went crazy in that last one... good to see you're back to your old self!

Hehe... sorry. :D Nice bass.

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, let's see...I guess I hear a lot of folks express it in terms of 'bolt-on=more punch' and 'NT=more sustain.' I guess that's reasonably accurate in my experience, but I do find that exceptional examples of both designs tend to strike me as more than the sum of their specs, so sometimes the lines get a little blurry.

I do tend to enjoy the feel of a neck-through, but some of the bolt-on's are getting a little more ergonomic at the joint these days.

I don't know that I've really settled on one or the other yet myself. I like a lot of variety, so maybe I'll stick with both. In my ongoing adventures, however, I'm always learning and hope to keep growing so I'm open to hearing how other players feel about any aspect of bassistry. You seem to put a lot of time, effort, and thought into your craft, so I figured I'd benefit from hearing your feelings on the matter.

Thanks for sharing! That's what this place is for I figure.