1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone want a MultiComp when you already have Demeter Compulator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by redangel, Apr 26, 2009.

1. redangel

redangel

Aug 4, 2007
    I already have the Demeter Compulator for a year. I love it. But after compared too MultiComp, it seems MultiComp is more "hearable" "notice-able" compress that I like...

Would you guys think that demeter compulator is way too subtle?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depends on what you're using it for. I've not used either one, but they both get alot of love 'round here.

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Actually, I prefer subtle. It's the headroom that concerns me. From what I've read, sounds like I need to bump up my power supply as I'm running the Godlyke.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have both (lucky me?).

I find that the compulator works great for strong, over the top effects like the EHX BMS or the Fulltone Choralflange. These are the effects that sound like they are going to distroy my speakers. The flanger gets going and it's almost like a carnival ride.:D

But for general compression duties I find that I like the multicomp. It really seems to add some flavor to my tone but I can't explain what.

I guess if I could only have one it would be the Demeter for the protection value it offers.

5. I love my MultiComp, but I'm very curious about the Compulator. I agree with Jerry J, the MultiComp seems to add something which I can't quite put my finger on. I can't 'hear' when it's on, I just know I miss it when it's not.

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I've been considering purchasing a Compulator for this very reason.

I also don't dare to use my pedalboard with my integrated bass head.... only through my rack system with the low end filters engaged on the power amp.

7. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a Compulator and it was too subtle for me. I now have a Barge RC-3 which makes me much happier. I like the Multicomp as well, but the Barge is a good bit cheaper brand new.

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'm perfectly fine with my Compulator. Personally, I use it in conjunction with my envelope filter, or when doing volume swells for the extra sustain. :)

I haven't personally felt the need to replace it since it does what I need it to do and is very transparent while doing it.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    "Transparent", that is an excellent description for the compulator.

And using the compressor with a filter is another reason I use the demeter.