1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone want to make me some beats?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ron Now, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    So I've been antsy as of late, I'm in two active bands and yet my mind always gets the best of me and I'm always looking to expand my music palette.

I've got the rock/indie band covered, and I've got my metal/jam band all set, I've done the instrumental post rock kind of thing and tech metal and thrash for years.

But as of late I just want to make my bass sound like a synth...and also make use of my actual synths.

I tried making up some "beats" via cubase and drum machines/midi but I kind of just suck at it...maybe I'm too impaitent, maybe I just don't get the whole drum thing unless I'm playing with one.

Point is I can't seem to make them (at least not as quick as I wish I could)

So anyone out there like doing that kind of thing? Want to help a fellow TB'er keep from getting bored by throwing some glitchy beats I can layer a bunch of stuff over?

Weird request I know, but I figured there was no harm in asking.

Thanks!

2. Ever tried "playing" the beats on a midi controller? I find that if I'm starting the music with the beat, I like to just play the beats on the keys rather than program them in. I only sequence them by hand if I'm writing a beat to go with a riff I already have, otherwise its too mechanical.

If you have a hard time playing the whole kit at once, thats fine just layer the capturing of the midi, lay the snare and kick first maybe, then the cymbals next time around, etc.

Hope that helps.

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I've been trying to do the Midi pad drum set for about a week now.

I tend to get too caught up in what I'm doing and it never comes out right, then I try fixing it and end up screwing up the whole track.

It was the closest I've been able to getting what I want done, but I'm starting to think that maybe drums just aren't my thing...whether they are on the computer or on a real kit.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    If you can play bass to drums that means you can compose for them too.

You just need to fit the first few pieces of that puzzle together and the rest will fall into place.

A range of free options:

How to compose MIDI drums.

Please note: Web Of Trust indicates that "Software to Write Midi Drum Pattern - Free Downloads of Software ..." (freedownloadscenter.com) is a threat to computers. It's likely to be an attack site offering pirated programs loaded with malware.

If you're not doing so already you may wish to use Firefox augmented with these security enhancing add-ons:

- WOT (Web Of Trust)
    - NoScript
    - Adblock Plus
    - Flagfox

Back on topic...

Drum machines, Open Source.

A well regarded commercial music composing program:

Band-in-a-Box

5. Out of interest, what kind of style does glitchy entail? What sort of BPM are you talking? I used to be a dab hand with Reason but I've no idea if I've still got the magic...