Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Want To See The El Camino Of Pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's big. It's ugly. But it'll last forever. It's my new pedalboard!
    [​IMG]

Ok, so I was getting really tired of all of my pedals laying on the floor, with a thousand cables always getting tangled up and in the way, often getting pulled right onto a pedal that I need to step on. It was also hard to reach some of the switches because I had to stretch my leg over other pedals.
    [​IMG]

Problem was, even though I use very few effects, one of them is a Boss GT-6B, so I couldn't find a pre-made board big enough without costing an arm and a leg. So fellow TBer Mon Rominee was kind enough to build a ramp-like board to my specs for very little dough that measured 36" x 18" x 6" tall, with no bottom and a gap in the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stretched some old carpet over it that had enough tack to it to hold velcro, which I taped to the bottom of all the pedals.
    [​IMG]

I then drilled a bunch of holes in it so I could wire all of my cables through the bottom of the ramp. (Side note: make sure to cut out the square of carpet you'll be drilling into before you start drilling. Genius that I am, I didn't think of it at first, and when I went to drill, the drill bit caught the thread and pulled a strip of it around itself and right off of the carpet base. :rolleyes: You can see the strip of threadless carpet below the GT-6B)

The cords are now nicely wound up and the excess taped to the bottom of the slanted pedalboard top, so they don't lay on the floor. I also attached a power strip to the inside of the beam on the back. Now my Visual One-spot and Boss adapter are stored inside the ramp and off of the floor, so the only cord that comes out of the pedalboard and has to be plugged in is the power strip. I also cut a hole in the carpet in the back to thread the power strip cord out, and also to allow me to turn the switch for the power strip on and off so I don't have to lift the pedalboard up to access it. This way I can keep all of my pedals on and turn them all off with one switch.
    [​IMG]

I placed the pedals in a way that I found easiest to reach, and the 6" incline makes a big difference in reaching switches that are further back- it's much easier now. I alos left room below most of switches so I can rest my foot on the board itself (it's very sturdy). It also allows me room to grow, and there's a space set aside above the Compulator to safely velcro my EBow to if I need to travel with it.
    [​IMG]

I suppose I could reupholster it if I ever want to make it look nice, but I'm fine with it for now. It's a great, functional space saver and was very inexpensive- I'm very happy with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    nice!
    you may want to check out george L cables...basically, there's straight and l ends, and you can cut the cable to any length, no solder so they're completely re-usable. perfect for pedalboards, although not good for
    long leads to bass/ or amp
    cheers
    d

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That is SO not cool.

See, you see, this is my baby, you see.

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    looks good to me.. nice and neat now. good job.

5. whats a El Camino?

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    A car

The CHEVROLET EL CAMINO :bassist:
    [​IMG]

7. ahh k...we dont have chevys down here :p ..be like me talkin about a holden commodore i spose :p

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    speaking of which, that does look a little bit like the old holden utes doesnt it?

9. does a little bit....funny though...ive seen new commies cruisin around with chevy badges on them lately

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    thats australia for you.

11. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    nice board.
    although i think shag carpeting would have been the way to go...

12. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Now THIS is one fine El Cam

We dont get em in the UK either but we can drool. If only my pedal board was as tasty as this baby :cool:

[​IMG]

13. Hey cool! That looks good my man! Nice rig! Glad to be of service. :bassist:

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

You've gotta realize though that that's far better looking than 98% of the El Caminos on the streets. And even the nice ones are still some sort of unholy union of car and truck.

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    haha yeah they are called UTES, and here every 'real bloke' has one.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here in America, utes are what people from New Jersey call young people.

17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Shouldnt that be people from New Joysey ?

;)

18. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    You like Boss, don't you? :p

19. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Avoiding all carpet and other such fluffyness, i went for an Aluminium ( UK spellling ) board

[​IMG]

I hate carpet with avengeance - even more so cos of my dog. Just about every bit of flotsum and jetsum seems to stick to it - dog hairs included.

I love my EBS cabs but i wish they werent carpet covered - or whatever that awful fluffy stuff is on the outside.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes we do, and we love our El Camino's.

And since they haven't been made since 1987, I send Chevy and GMC emails bi-weekly asking them to make the Holden Ute available to the USA.