Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone want to start a mass 'lets review each other' session?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Feb 2, 2005.

1. hey there, if you read the title and are as a result in this thread then look no further. if your in a band post some links to your mp3s and everyone can review each other and give there personal advice and opinion on both the bass playing and the bands music as a whole.

i think this idea is cool and will help players improve if we all help each other out :D ..doesnt matter what kind of music it is, im sure everyone here is open minded enough to give anything ago even if its a style there not normally into. constructive criticism only guys :p ..no 'you guys sux' lol :p

right, anyways to get the ball rolling...

im Ant and im in a metal band from the UK. were called In Pain Die (yes...honestly :p) and we are influenced by Sepultura, Machine Head, Crowbar, Hatebreed, Obituary, Vader, Napalm Death, Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage.... amongst others.

we've just completed work on our new Ep 'Hope But No Belief' and you can either download it here at our site : In Pain Die: Online or streamed at our myspace page :)

anyways, happy reviewing...be gentle guys ;) ...hehehe :p

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I like this idea, I always want to hear what people honestly think of my work and how I can improve. First, my review for you:

The guitars didn't seem to have a very warm sound, quite thin. I like the little bass break down on 10 Years of Grief. The drums in the beginning of that song get pretty disgustingly brutal. (very nice)

The vocalist is pretty good for the type of music, but I would like to hear a little more range out of him, he's a little monotone in "10 Years..."

"Painless Way Out" shows your vocalists range a bit which is good. Your bass in this song really helped flesh it out for how the guitars have been recorded.

All in all if you came to the states I'd play with ya! Good job.

EDIT:
    Oops forgot my info:
    http://www.brutalrepublic.tk to download The Raven in OGG format or you can check out 2 others from the link in my signature.

3. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    I think this is a great idea. I would be very interested to hear what people think of our music and my work in particular. We have a couple songs on myspace. www.myspace.com/pikestation We also have some song clips on our website www.pikestation.com

A little info about us. We are a rock band that draws influences from The Allman Bros, John Cougar, John Mayer, Govt Mule, The Freddy Jones Band, and many many others. We don't know what to really classify ourselves as becuase we are kinda poppy, kinda rock, a little bit blues and some other stuff. We have been kinda calling ourselves Southern Pop. Thanks for giving us a listen.

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'd like in, but I can only e-mail the songs to you guys....

5. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    Ok here is my review of (hed)-less. I have to say the guitars are very thin and somewhat repetitions. I would like to see them a little fuller sounding and maybe show off a little. (did I just say that?) I think if they had a fuller sound they would absolutely crush and it would really be a killer sound. Also I like the bass work. It fits well with the music and when you need to shin you do. Also I think the drummer is good. There is some good double bass work in there. The vocals are decent. They were pretty clear and easy to understand for the most part which I feel is important in heavy music. Overall a good mix I think.

In general I could easily hear this being played in the states. I think you guys would fit in very well and be successful.

Ok now my Brutal Republic Review.

On the Raven I felt the guitar was very thin. I would have liked it to have more low end. Bass work was good. I felt the drums were shakey at some spots but it could have just been the timing of the song. I couldn't really understand the vocals well.

On to the crow. I REALLY like that song. Great guitar work and sound. I usually don't really like trebely bass guitar but it sounded very good in this song. Not sure whatelse to say but I really like the song alot.

On Apollo Falling I think my main gripe is that the lyrics are kinda muddy and can't be understood. I think the thinner guitar sounds pretty good in this song and I like the work. The bass work is good and solid as it is on the other songs. I think it messed better with the guitar on this song then on The Raven. I feel this is a tighter song all around.

I think in general you guys have a pretty good sound and good songs. I am not sure where it fits in the whole sceme of things becuase its not super heavy and its not radio friendly enough to be mainstream, but I definately think there is a place for it.

Anywho, good idea to do this review thing. I just got to listen to two band I would have never heard if this wasn't suggested. I enjoyed it.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Thanks for the review. I actually thought The Raven was our best sounding song :)

My thin bass tone on Crow was recorder on a 1x15 and the rest was on a 4x10 without the horn on. I don't know how I managed that...Overall the whole mix was thin overall so that may have contributed to the thin sound. My guitarist hates how his guitar sounds on all the songs we recorded so you were right on the guitar sound. My drummer had never recorded before so he was a little shakey because he was nervous. I am the most experienced at recording in the band so that may have been why my sound was handled pretty well.

I know what you mean by the hard to explain where we fit in style we have. I consider it stoner/fuzz rock because we jump around from heavy to soft with a lot of changes throughout songs like some of my favorite bands like Kyuss, On a Pale Horse, and Black Sabbath. Our guitarist/song writer is a huge Sabbath fan so we are heavily influenced by them. We have a few 8+ minute songs that we can't play live because they would bore most people at a live show but they are really technical and we are very proud of them.

We should be going back in soon to record some more so stay tuned.

I'll write up some more reviews of everyone that has posted when I get back from classes.

8. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    NovusOrdo: Check PM. :)

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
  10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Listened to Secret Race tonite. What to say but, "Jamm on MoFo!" Happens to be a groove I lock in automatically. Nice stuff. I'm going to check out the rest later.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I'll play. Do your worst!

Here's the address to my bands MP3 page.

Mp3 Page

:)

Joe.

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I listened to Ten Years of Grief and Worthless.

On Ten Years I think you guys had too much fx on the guitar. I think it cost you guys some serious chunkiness. The flanging on the bass part was cool though. The vocals could have been a tad further up front with a touch of reverb.

On Worthless Things sounded better. I'm not sure why. It must have been a mix closer to what I like. But I would have preferred a tad less fx on the guitars.

I really liked both tunes. You can definitely hear your influences coming through.

On the whole I give it a B+.

Good job.

(I've bought F- crap before. That really pisses me off.)

Joe.

14. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I liked this song from the very start. The intro was just starting to get a little long when things picked up. To be honest, the only thing that I didn't like about this song were the vocals. Definitely too much hrrr hrrr stuff happening. Maybe I don't listen to enough of this type of music to appreciate ithe vocals but I really thought everything else kicked butt.

I give this song an A-

Joe.

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The Future sounded very nice but was lacking bottom end. The bas and the drums could be heard but I did not find their volume satisfying.

Same thing for Road Trip.

On the whole, very good samples of your stuff.

I give your samples a B.

Joe.

16. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    PM sent.

17. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    What the hell?

I just listened to Litebulb2.

Heh heh heh. Cool stuff man. You listen to much Zappa?

I give this weird piece of art an A+.

Stop2 was also a very interesting piece of work but I didn't like it nearly as much. Al I can say is that it was hard to hear an listen to. It was very interestin but not real clear. Maybe it was the cheap camcorder but I only give it a C+.

Redone to the level of production of the first tune it would definitely score higher.

Joe.

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Listened to Conversation.

The guitar was really too loud in my opinion. And the bacground vocal during the 'come on' portion was also too loud. Everything else was great. I really liked this tune and all the parts. Just a few mixing problems.

I'd really like to see you guys live. I love this kind of stuff.

I give this song a B+.

Joe.

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I listened to walk to the sun and interference.

Not my cup of tea...but very well done.

On walk to the sun I thought that the vocals were too loud at first but your vocalist is so great I just don't know. You guys did a great job.

On interference all I can say is Damn. Your vocalist has an awesome set of pipes. I liked it better than the first tune (not that it was bad).

But all in all, very good stuff.

I give these tunes a B and an A- respectively.

Joe.

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Just listened to secret race. I dug the ambience that you guys create. I could see that being used in a movie soundtrack (like some sort of mind screw movie or action).
    I liked it. I'm gonna check out more. :D