Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone who became a 5 fan and went back to 4 ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jan 10, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    'Problem'....

The last 1-2 years I've been playing a considerable amount of notes on a fivestring. Now that I own a Skyline 55.02 and can't afford my 'dream bass' ... I was wondering if any of you came across a similar situation. I'm not quite astonished by the Skyline (although I don't think it's a bad bass, not at all!) and I miss something. I really need vintage vibe at a great level of craftmanship.

Did you ever go back to four and how was it? I'm really fond of the E on the low B, big and fat and I'm afraid I'm going to miss it on a vintage fourstring. A nice Jazz from the seventies looks really cool to me.... how do you folks think about it?

Or better: anyone who went back to four after a while playing on five and did you miss the low B string? :ninja:

Thanks for your advice/ sharing... and your time!

(attachements.... from this...to that :smug: )

Attached Files:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I grew up playing, and learned how to play on a 4. I picked up a 5'er about 15 years after playing nothing but 4 bangers and I just couldn't/wouldn't allow myself the time to get comfortable with it. It just felt very odd in my hands. I picked up a 4 and I was instantly back "home".

Most of the players I look up to play 4's only...this is not saying that there's anything wrong at all with those who prefer a 5 string..it just wasn't for me.

And that's a sweet jazz in the pic.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played mostly 5's for about 4 years, got a hold of a '83 P, and it made me play 4's again. I still play 5's, but mostly on stage. In the studio, it's nothing but 4's. Come to think of it, I play a 4 on stage about 85% of the time. The 55-02 is a REALLY good bass, I'm sorry it doesn't do it for you.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played a 5 for a littlle while and went back to a four. Didnt really missit at all.

5. Not exactly the normal situation here, I actually STARTED on 5-string, and wowed to never own a 4-string.

However, I've developed a new appreciation for four-bangers and in fact 2 of my 3 basses are of the EADG variety. I guess listening to a lot of Jamerson basslines made me appreicate it. I discovered that though the POWER lies in the notes below E, but SOUL exists in the upper note fills.

Coincidentally, my 4-strings were all bought in '04. I got a Musicman Stingray fretless, because Pino Palladino played one, and a fretted Stingray because I stumbled on a sweet deal on an early EB model that had 2-band EQ and a maple neck, and wanted something easier to slap on.

I still consider myself primarily a 5-string player though, and since I started on it, picking up a 4-string was a breeze. I would like to get a 5-string fretless, just as much as I want to get a 4-string Fender P or J.

Damn GAS... :rollno:

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I discovered that though the POWER lies in the notes below E, but SOUL exists in the upper note fills.

Very well said. ;)

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

No one will ever [!?!] convince me to go back to a 4. Not after nearly 20 years. Hasn't happened yet!

dcr

8. I have been back and forth many times between 5 and 4, but have finally settled back to 5 on a Roscoe Beck V. Check out these specs: Roscoe Beck V. I have found that, given the right 5-string, anything I could do on a 4-string I can do on a 5-string. I just miss the D! I love that note if that doesn't sound too crazy.

I do plan on buying a 4-string though. Nothing nearly as nice as the one you are looking at, but here it is: Ash Jazz. I would own both - don't let the 55-02 leave your sight, just save up for the 4-string.

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I played a 4 for from '80 - '91, switched to a 5 for a couple of years, then back to 4 in '93 after elbow surgery. I made the switch back to 5 last year and I'm really enjoying the freedom I have with it. I have three 4 strings, two of which will be sold in the very near future and my '79 Fender P that I will always have. Right now I have four 5 strings, two of those will be sold in the near future also.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I've played different 5 stringers for some time now. But, I went back to a 4 string bass recently, mostly because I needed to find a shorter scale bass because of wrist problems.

I've found that it's an easy switch, however I've had to redo my approach to a lot of songs now. I miss the low B at times. Certain songs really just seem to call for that deep low end the low B produces.

I miss it, but I can live with it since with a shorter scale bass (that just happens to be a four string) allows me to keep playing.

Side Note: Hey Doug, I see the bass is in Little Rock. I'm gonna miss that baby!

11. I just use a Hipshot D tuner. I can get it to go lower than D, so I really don't "miss" the other 2 notes I'd get from a 5-er.

Just me.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I tried to go back to a 4, but I missed the B string enough to make me go back to my 5. I guess for me the thing is I can do anything on a 5 that I can do on a 4, but the opposite isn't true.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Having played my 5 for a while now, I think I'll take my old beater bass and do BEAD on it. That might be the best of both: low bottom and slender neck.

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Cool! I don't have the Tracking Info w/me @ work, so I'll have to be satisfied with checking it after I get home this evening. Maybe, it'll be there when I do -- LR is only about 40 miles from me!

15. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I grew up playing 4's picked up my first 5 in the 80's and spent most of the 90's trying to find "the one" 5 string, with a couple of 6ers along the way. I have finally decided there is something tonaly uncomfortable (to me) about a 5 and I now own 6 four stringers and the only reason I would ever purchase another 5 string would be, if I was involved in a country or gospel project. Those five low notes can be very addicting.

16. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I completly forgot that my P bass has a hipshot detuner on it. I haven't played it much since I installed it.

17. Why label yourself as one thing or another? I was sitting in w/these guys- guitar, drums, percussion, 2 keyboards, & few vocalists. The rhythm guitarist hadn't showed up yet, & when someone suggested working on a particular tune in the meantime, the lead guitarist said he couldn't: he only played lead. That just seemed very narrow-minded to me. If you can only afford 1 bass, I understand, likewise if you really like a particular # of strings, but if you've got several, I say play them all. I have a standup bass- I rarely play out w/it as I'm much more comfortable on BG. Practicing the doghouse, though, makes 4, 5 or 6 string BG feel so easy- I'll certainly keep them all (actually, I'm looking to sell one 4 string, but just to buy strings for an EUB I'm building, & I have another).

18. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    That would be very stupid indeed huh? For myself I can play rythm guitar, lead guitar... four and five string as well. But as far the costs are there... I can only afford one axe!!)

(But between the lines... BB King never plays rythm, because he can't do the chords....'probably not my style')

Still lurking for 5-er anyway I think....

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I PM'd you with the number. :)

20. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I started on an old Jazz 4-banger (should have kept it!) and then shifted to a fiver in 92. I didn't pick up another 4-string for almost 10 years. I didn't think I missed it.

Then one day a couple of years ago, I was in a music store and on a whim picked up a 4-string to fiddle around with it. I was shocked! I felt a freedom in my playing that I had not felt in years! I had forgotten how much I loved the 4-string. It really allowed me to concentrate more on technique and style than thinking about that "extra" string.

Subsequently, now I am back to 4 and loving it! But I have kept one fiver to use on those rare occasions that call for it. It gathers a lot of dust.

But in the end, go with what you are comfortable with, even if you change your mind down the road. Change can sometimes be a good thing! :D