1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone who became a 5 fan and went back to 4 ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jan 10, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    'Problem'....

The last 1-2 years I've been playing a considerable amount of notes on a fivestring. Now that I own a Skyline 55.02 and can't afford my 'dream bass' ... I was wondering if any of you came across a similar situation. I'm not quite astonished by the Skyline (although I don't think it's a bad bass, not at all!) and I miss something. I really need vintage vibe at a great level of craftmanship.

Did you ever go back to four and how was it? I'm really fond of the E on the low B, big and fat and I'm afraid I'm going to miss it on a vintage fourstring. A nice Jazz from the seventies looks really cool to me.... how do you folks think about it?

Or better: anyone who went back to four after a while playing on five and did you miss the low B string? :ninja:

Thanks for your advice/ sharing... and your time!

(attachements.... from this...to that :smug: )

Attached Files:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I grew up playing, and learned how to play on a 4. I picked up a 5'er about 15 years after playing nothing but 4 bangers and I just couldn't/wouldn't allow myself the time to get comfortable with it. It just felt very odd in my hands. I picked up a 4 and I was instantly back "home".

Most of the players I look up to play 4's only...this is not saying that there's anything wrong at all with those who prefer a 5 string..it just wasn't for me.

And that's a sweet jazz in the pic.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played mostly 5's for about 4 years, got a hold of a '83 P, and it made me play 4's again. I still play 5's, but mostly on stage. In the studio, it's nothing but 4's. Come to think of it, I play a 4 on stage about 85% of the time. The 55-02 is a REALLY good bass, I'm sorry it doesn't do it for you.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played a 5 for a littlle while and went back to a four. Didnt really missit at all.

5. Not exactly the normal situation here, I actually STARTED on 5-string, and wowed to never own a 4-string.

However, I've developed a new appreciation for four-bangers and in fact 2 of my 3 basses are of the EADG variety. I guess listening to a lot of Jamerson basslines made me appreicate it. I discovered that though the POWER lies in the notes below E, but SOUL exists in the upper note fills.

Coincidentally, my 4-strings were all bought in '04. I got a Musicman Stingray fretless, because Pino Palladino played one, and a fretted Stingray because I stumbled on a sweet deal on an early EB model that had 2-band EQ and a maple neck, and wanted something easier to slap on.

I still consider myself primarily a 5-string player though, and since I started on it, picking up a 4-string was a breeze. I would like to get a 5-string fretless, just as much as I want to get a 4-string Fender P or J.

Damn GAS... :rollno:

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I discovered that though the POWER lies in the notes below E, but SOUL exists in the upper note fills.

Very well said. ;)

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

No one will ever [!?!] convince me to go back to a 4. Not after nearly 20 years. Hasn't happened yet!

dcr

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have been back and forth many times between 5 and 4, but have finally settled back to 5 on a Roscoe Beck V. Check out these specs: Roscoe Beck V. I have found that, given the right 5-string, anything I could do on a 4-string I can do on a 5-string. I just miss the D! I love that note if that doesn't sound too crazy.

I do plan on buying a 4-string though. Nothing nearly as nice as the one you are looking at, but here it is: Ash Jazz. I would own both - don't let the 55-02 leave your sight, just save up for the 4-string.

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I played a 4 for from '80 - '91, switched to a 5 for a couple of years, then back to 4 in '93 after elbow surgery. I made the switch back to 5 last year and I'm really enjoying the freedom I have with it. I have three 4 strings, two of which will be sold in the very near future and my '79 Fender P that I will always have. Right now I have four 5 strings, two of those will be sold in the near future also.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I've played different 5 stringers for some time now. But, I went back to a 4 string bass recently, mostly because I needed to find a shorter scale bass because of wrist problems.

I've found that it's an easy switch, however I've had to redo my approach to a lot of songs now. I miss the low B at times. Certain songs really just seem to call for that deep low end the low B produces.

I miss it, but I can live with it since with a shorter scale bass (that just happens to be a four string) allows me to keep playing.

Side Note: Hey Doug, I see the bass is in Little Rock. I'm gonna miss that baby!

11. I just use a Hipshot D tuner. I can get it to go lower than D, so I really don't "miss" the other 2 notes I'd get from a 5-er.

Just me.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I tried to go back to a 4, but I missed the B string enough to make me go back to my 5. I guess for me the thing is I can do anything on a 5 that I can do on a 4, but the opposite isn't true.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Having played my 5 for a while now, I think I'll take my old beater bass and do BEAD on it. That might be the best of both: low bottom and slender neck.

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Cool! I don't have the Tracking Info w/me @ work, so I'll have to be satisfied with checking it after I get home this evening. Maybe, it'll be there when I do -- LR is only about 40 miles from me!

15. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I grew up playing 4's picked up my first 5 in the 80's and spent most of the 90's trying to find "the one" 5 string, with a couple of 6ers along the way. I have finally decided there is something tonaly uncomfortable (to me) about a 5 and I now own 6 four stringers and the only reason I would ever purchase another 5 string would be, if I was involved in a country or gospel project. Those five low notes can be very addicting.

16. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I completly forgot that my P bass has a hipshot detuner on it. I haven't played it much since I installed it.

17. Why label yourself as one thing or another? I was sitting in w/these guys- guitar, drums, percussion, 2 keyboards, & few vocalists. The rhythm guitarist hadn't showed up yet, & when someone suggested working on a particular tune in the meantime, the lead guitarist said he couldn't: he only played lead. That just seemed very narrow-minded to me. If you can only afford 1 bass, I understand, likewise if you really like a particular # of strings, but if you've got several, I say play them all. I have a standup bass- I rarely play out w/it as I'm much more comfortable on BG. Practicing the doghouse, though, makes 4, 5 or 6 string BG feel so easy- I'll certainly keep them all (actually, I'm looking to sell one 4 string, but just to buy strings for an EUB I'm building, & I have another).

18. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    That would be very stupid indeed huh? For myself I can play rythm guitar, lead guitar... four and five string as well. But as far the costs are there... I can only afford one axe!!)

(But between the lines... BB King never plays rythm, because he can't do the chords....'probably not my style')

Still lurking for 5-er anyway I think....

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I PM'd you with the number. :)

20. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I started on an old Jazz 4-banger (should have kept it!) and then shifted to a fiver in 92. I didn't pick up another 4-string for almost 10 years. I didn't think I missed it.

Then one day a couple of years ago, I was in a music store and on a whim picked up a 4-string to fiddle around with it. I was shocked! I felt a freedom in my playing that I had not felt in years! I had forgotten how much I loved the 4-string. It really allowed me to concentrate more on technique and style than thinking about that "extra" string.

Subsequently, now I am back to 4 and loving it! But I have kept one fiver to use on those rare occasions that call for it. It gathers a lot of dust.

But in the end, go with what you are comfortable with, even if you change your mind down the road. Change can sometimes be a good thing! :D