Anyone who has anything to do with running sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fleckbass211, May 25, 2003.

1. Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    This question is out to any sound engineer or soundguy etc.

Do you know of any books that I could order off of the internet ( preffered amazon) that would help me start doing this?

Thank you
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Search for 0918371074 on, that's one book that gets good reviews. Seems to start from beginner level going to intermediate, whatever that means. :) Haven't read it myself though.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Not sure about sound engineering in particular, but IMO a good place to start would be books on basic acoustics and electrical engineering.

That will get you the basics you will need.

Also I think this thread should be in Miscellaneous, so I will move it there.

Have a nice day :)
  4. Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Thanks, these books are on order. Sorry about the post, I wasn't really sure what to put this one under.
  5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Check out "The Mixing Engineers Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski and "Total Recording" by David Moulton.

I used them both in a recording class I recently took at college and was very impressed. Owsinski's book is more of a "hands-on" type of book, which features interviews with many experienced recording engineers. Moulton's book is more dedicated to the technical aspects of sound engineering along with some of his own personal experiences. They work well together as companion pieces.
  6. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones (and Yamaha)is a classic book on the subject and covers a lot of ground. Lots of excellent info in there. I have it and it is a great reference. BTW, I found it
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is the one.
  8. Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    I talked to a guy who runs sound around here and he told me that is the book he runs things primarily by.

That book will be here on the 28th.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it is.
  9. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Books are great, and I agree that the sound reinforcement handbook is great. IMHO however there is no substitute for just going out and learning it by expirience.
  10. Fleckbass211

Mar 20, 2003
    My Room
    Good point. That is what I have in mind. I am going to learn the basics from this book and then get an internship at a studio etc. and learn from experience. This is just a gateway book so I know some to start off.
  11. When I was at Uni there were several reference books on that subject, all of which I consumed (when I was supposed to be at a math class, usually). I've forgotten it all now, but I found out plenty.

If you can, check out whatever libraries you have access to.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    "Live Sound Mixing" by Duncan Fry. This guy is a ledgend. Really smart, but a cool guy as well. His stories are as entertaining as they are educational. Click

HERE for his website.

The yamaha book is also very good.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Also these:

Live Sound for Musicians by Rudy Trubitt
    Published by Hal Leonard. About $19.95 USD list. Great for beginners.

The Acoustic Musician's Guide to Sound Reinforcement & Live Recording by Mike Sokol
    Published by Prentice Hall. Another good one for newbies.

Audio Engineering for Sound Reinforcement by John Eargle and Chris Foreman
    Published by Hal Leonard. Excellent book if you're serious and want to advance beyond the beginner stage.

Check out these Web sites:
  14. Good for you, Fleckbass211.

Lots of people claim to know how to run sound, very few actually do. The more you learn, the better your band will sound, and you become a more valuable bandmember.