1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone who has played or owned a Geddy Lee Jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jackson E, Mar 28, 2006.

1. I have played two Geddy jazz basses now, one at the guitar center in Nashville, and one at the guitar center in Birmingham. I have a bit of problem, and could use some help. The bass I played in Nashville played great, but sounded like crap, I mean really bad I wouldn't have paid $50 for it (ok that was a lie but you get the picture). The one I played in Birmingham this afternoon on the other hand sounded amazing. It is definitely one of the better sounding basses I've taken off a store wall. I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience, or may know why they sounded so drastically different. Thanks.

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    it could be as simple as dead strings, a bad set up. or a bad egg.

you gotta watch out for the condition stores leave their instruments in. guitar center is notorious for this, and it leaves plenty of exquisite guitars struggling to breathe and/or sell because of it.

3. +1

I'm pretty sure there is a big multi page thread about loving them, and then theres another big multi page about people who didnt like them.

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    thats just how it goes, depending on store, as well as with the bigger name brands.

people often feel fender quality is deceptively low due to the high percentage iof beaten up, ill cared for fenders in shops. you'd be surprised what a nice american precision is like with a little setup and TLC.

ive seen pedullas, spectors, and ken smiths that guitar centers had managaed to make unplayable, let alone a production MIM fender.

which is why i want to get in my hands a fresh from the box rocscoe beck IV :)

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea I'm sure new strings, new setup it'd be singing like a bird.

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The N'ville GC's doesn't have a clue on how to set up instruments. I've played basses that action was so high it would double as an upright and some where the truss rod is so overtightened you can't play before the 8th fret.

7. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Like people have said before me, it could be something as simple as warped strings or bad setup. When I first received my Geddy in the mail, I was less than pleased with how it played. I took it in to my guitar store, had them straighten the neck and adjust the bridge, and it came out sounding like a completely different bass. In my opinion, they're great. Every jazz bassist should own one. Don't let your experience with a warped Geddy taint your overall opinion of the model. They're really great.

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Buy the one that plays best......

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    +1 some fender's even though they are supposed to be the feel the same they don't always, some are just better than others.

10. Well, like everyone else said, there's setup and strings.

Other than that -
    Are they both new basses - not used ones with possibly different than stock pickups installed?

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have played that exact bass in GC in Nashville. TERRIBLE setup. That bass would need work to be playable. Plus, it's been there for quite some time, so it probably needs new strings.

If buying in Nashville, try World Music. They have a GL Jazz that is set up properly and sounds great.

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'll put a vote in for Corner Music.

13. Import

Import Guest

Jul 17, 2005
    Didn't Geddy Play a ricky anyway???

14. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore