1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone who likes to sleep with a light on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've been noticing it's nicer to go to sleep when there's some light in the room. When I was younger, I used to sleep with curtains open, so the streetlights would reflect on the wall. Nowadays I notice it's nice to have one small lamp on on my desk.

I don't know what is it for. I have never been afraid of the dark, but I just dislike it. It might have something to do with the whole deal of going to bed - sometimes I just like taking a prolonged nap on the sofa with my clothes on, instead of going to bed. It also might be because I don't fall asleep very easily, but like to ponder on things for some time, so perhaps turning all the lights off feels forcing it, dunno.

Anyone else with the same thing?

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Lights on are okay, as long as the person beside you has a pretty face. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Seriously. You're pretty much describing my sleeping habits. I'll leave lights on, maybe my computer screen saver. Definately love falling asleep on the couch.

I'm the opposite of you in the respect that I can fall asleep, any time, anywhere I want. By the same token, I can also wake up any time I want.

Here's a silly story: After hanging out with my gf, and some of her friends, she and I went to her apt. I went to the bathroom, and decided to brush my teeth, and she went and fed the cat. I told her I was going to lay down - at which point she was entering the bathroom to brush her teeth. Before she could put toothpaste on her brush, she heard me snoring. She said it was a total of about 6 seconds before I was asleep.

At one point she thought I was narcaleptic. Have you ever done stuff like this? Wake up 1 or 2 minutes before your alarm clock goes off? Happens to me all the time.

3. I always get up at the same time. 7:16 AM. Every day. I can stay up till 3 or 4 AM, and gues what? I open my eyes, look at my clock, and it's 7:16 AM. I hate it!!

I don't leave lights on, but I always have my radio on. It makes for some interesting dreams listening to Adam Corolla when you're asleep.

Rock on
    Eric

4. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I always have to have some source of light, be it a night light or a desk lamp or the street light outside. I guess it's because I had a night light when I was really young, and I've just grown used to it.

Actually- this is really weird. There was one summer up here when it was really hot (yes, Maine can get really hot, oddly enough) and I had to sleep with a fan on every night, seeing as I'm on the second floor. Now, though, I can't fall asleep unless that fan is on, even if it's the middle of winter.

5. I do that pretty often when I'm getting enough sleep.

As a little kid I used to sleep with a light on all the time. Later, for some reason, I started to want pitch blackness. Cover the windows (at night!) and block all light coming under the door blackness! I even covered the LEDs on my radio. Kind of strange. I don't really care any more. Usually I turn the lights off.

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That's actually why I don't have a radio in my room. Actualy I do, but it's a 1970s viking, with numbers that turn (one of the nines is missing i think), so it doesn't flash in my face all night long.

As a kid though I like the nite-lite. Who didn't?

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I can't stand sleeping with a light/ lights on. Last night I crashed on a friend's couch and there was a light on nearby and even though it was not very bright, I had the hardest time going to sleep. I guess I'm just used to sleeping in the dark.

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I need ZERO light. But even with some light, I can always face the other way, and my eyes are closed anyways, so it might not make a difference.

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My sophomore year roommate in college used to sleep with the lights on a lot. It made me want to kill him! I'm with Jazzin'... the less light the better.

10. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Lava lamp and one of those psychadelic fiber optic color changing cacti do just fine for me.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I tend to fall asleep with a small lamp still on.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dont mind light so much, but i do need complete silence. thus ear plugs have almost become second nature to me.

i like using mack's pillow soft ear plugs, but man, they do add up over time.

and in case you're wondering, i set my cell phone to vibrate, which is on a pillow next to my head. does a much better job of waking me up vs. some startling 4 alarm blaze of a regular clock alarm. funny enough, i'm not as groggy when i wake up from the vibrating cell phone.