Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone with a Peavey PV power amp in their rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by My bass in your, May 11, 2004.

1. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    I'm looking for an upgrade from my Ampeg SVT200T. It's 350 watt solid state. I have a Sansamp BDDI and I'm thinking about buying the Peavey PV1500. With my 2 8 ohm cabs the peavey pv 1500 will power them both with 300 watts. Seems nice. Later when I get new cabs I can bridge it and run it 1400 watts on 4 ohms?

Experiences with this amp or his brothers?
    Is this plan correct?
    Any suggestions? (I'm an Euro some US stuff is expensive here...)

Thanks!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You could bridge it now with your two 8 ohm cabinets providing a 4 ohm load for the amp.

I have a number of different Peavey power amps and have been very happy with them so far. IIRC the PV1500 is rather heavy, isn't it?

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have the 2600 for my subs. It's a little on the heavy side, but not outrageous. I find it very similar to the QSC RMX series. Now that the MAP has dropped, they are quite the bargain. Peavey cautions you not to bridge the amp into 4 ohms(wink, wink-UL rating disclaimer). I have no need to do so, but wouldn't worry about it (at least in a bass rig) if I did.

Kim

4. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Yeah, I know about the brigding. No use for it now, since both my cabs are rated 200-300 Watts. I'll bridge it when I get bigger speakers. The 1500 is 45 Lbs. It’s heavey, but lighter then my Ampeg. :p

rok51. Wanna hear a real bargain? I can get a second one for 60% of the new price. :D I DL-ed the PV 1500 manual and they don't caution me to bridge it to 4 ohm :confused: I shouldn't go low lower then 4 ohm though. No need for that anyway. I'd eventually like to play with the full 1400 watt power though.

5. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Bumpity

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yeah, the recommendation NOT to bridge into 4 ohms came after the manuals were printed. Mine also doesn't have a warning, but the amp itself has a sticker that advises not to run below 4 ohms stereo or 8 ohms bridged. I have talked to the folks at Peavey, at length about this. The take was that the amp would do it safely, but it got too hot for UL certification at that load. Peavey is proud of their reputation (justifiably)for reliability and meeting available industry standards. Thus they chose to "derate" the amp rather than go without UL certification. If I knew for a fact that I intended to bridge into 4 ohms, I'd go with a QSC and not worry about it. I use a PLX 1602, bridged into 4 ohms for my stage rig without worry. Honestly, I bridge for the headroom. I rarely ever see the -10db leds light up, so (correct me here Bob) it appears as though I'm only using about 200 watts or so.

7. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Hum,...
    Thanks for the info. This story isn't over yet. I'll do my research...

8. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Just read it on their web board. If they can't support it, then I can't buy the amp. QSC you said?