Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone with antiquity IIs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys
    I've been reading about pickups, and I think I'm going to try to go vintage. I've narrowed it down to fender 60s pickups or seymour duncan antiquity IIs. from the sounds of it, I don't think I'd be too interested in lindy fralin? I think i'm spelling it wrong, I hear it recomended alot but I think the bottom of the antiquitys is what I'm looking for. Something low and deep, yet growly. Agressive, as it's going towards harder music. It's going into an antiquity, so what do you guys think?

2. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    that's the big problem, describing pickups is really hard. Growly, organic, warm, bassy, and thick are all great things though! Maybe I'm not even looking for agressive, I just want something that would sound under a Les Paul and an SG, for example, playing hard riffs or something, I don't know. Do you have any recordings? :bassist:

3. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    maybe having the j pickup would help bring some high end back? mind you, I play bass, I don't need high end ;) I didn't even ask, what bass do you have them in?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

pups will sound different under different circumstances so you're just ballparking it regardless - and the only thing I've figured sound clips are good for is selling more pickups and the TB tone glossary being assembled.

60's custom shop's I haven't had but I've had Fralin's and Antiquity II's and the Frailins and Antiquities are VERY similar pups in my experience. Reveiws under Dimento's J pup experiment. From what I remember, the II's were not big bottomed, just adequate. I got a higher quality vintage Fender tone from a set of SD Classic stacks than either of those and the stacks are 4 wire for more wiring options and no hum on any setting. They're are the only J HB's I've had to date that really sound like single J's.

I've had Geddy Lee's, Highway 1's, American standard, and Marcus Miller's and the best vintage so far has come from the MM's. A set just sold on ebay for $60. The Classic stack was right behind them, then maybe the Antiquities. The II's would have definetly been in the top 5 but they were just never quite there for me, doesn't mean they won't be for you. All the Fenders sound different so I'm guessing the custom shops would be no different in that respect. All I can say is if they're any improvement on the MM's, they have got to be some choice pups.

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    wow thanks, hmm the only problem is that I have a P pup and a J pup to work with, otherwise I'd look into the MMs too, I've heard the MM 5 string in person and, wow

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Assumed you had J's. Never had the Antiquity P so don't know. I really have had no luck finding a good vintage Fender P tone from a P pup to date. Have gotten much better P tone from some J's.

But there's a Dimento PJ experiment as well that from what I recall has little over a half dozen reviews.

The Rav at the moment is Nords. P's, NJ4, NJ4E's, and MM's. Only had the MM which is decent but nothing exceptional. But I'm guessing a PJ combo would probably not be disappointing if not exactly what you were looking for. Like I said, it's a crapshoot and about the best you can do before you buy is weed out what probably won't work for you.

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I read somewhere on here that the Sadowsky single coils are un-aged Antiquity IIs, or maybe the regular Antiquity.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't recall hearing that but I know the DM Ultra's are extremely similar to some late model Sadowsky singles and that DM indeed wound some pups for Rodger cuase Rodger responded and said as much to that thread.

But aside from the bass they're in (and related acoustic properties which can vary as much between the same exact model of bass as from a totally different bass and manufacturer), the strings, player, music genre, instruments accompanying and how they're played, and the rigging (especially the rigging) can have a significant impact on tone.

The pups will carry the same characteristics with them whatever they're put in but the same pup may seem killer in one setup and fairly ordinary in another. May growl great in one bass and maybe not at all in another.