Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone with bad experience of Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bas_anton, May 17, 2003.

1. I´m almost on my way to buy a 5-string Peavey Cirrus. I have only heard good things about the cirrus. Does somebody has a bad experience from the Cirrus? Have somebody played a cirrus with a maple fingerboard? how does it sound compared to a pau ferro board? shall I look for something special when I test the instrument? THANKS!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've never heard a complaint about Cirrus basses.
    Great instruments.
    Although I haven't A/Bed any Peavey model, maple fretboards should sound a little brighter and shinier, while pau ferro board would be mellower and clearer.

3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I loved my Cirrus 5, but I could not get it to stand out in the mix in a live setting no matter how much I EQ'ed the amp and bass. I had to sell it.

4. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I thought I liked mine at first, but I got tired of how bright it was. I had to turn down alot of high end to get that thing to calm down.

Ditched it...got a fender USA jazz deluxe...couldnt be happier.

5. i had the same problem with the lack of cutting through-ness of the cirrus. i couldn't get any growl or bite or anything resembling life. also it's tight string spacing gets to you after a while.

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    The spacing was an issue also. It is really tight, especially if you like to slap.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm just curious. Which wood combinations did phogchris, jivetkr and VoodooChile on their Cirri? What kind of rigs are playing through, how do you EQ and what are your strings of preference? What type of musical setting is it?

I'm not saying that you can't be happier with anything else and if you've found something that works better for your needs that's great. I guess I just wanted to hear more about the problems that you were having as a point of reference since I'm still a Cirrus owner. You never know when I might run into some of the issues trhat you're experiencing.

I've got a bubinga/walnut 5 and I've never had a problem with cutting through or being too bright. Oh yeah, the string spacing is adjustable. Adjusting it as wide as it will go may still not be acceptable for some but in my case it works just fine. ;)

8. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    Yeah....I had a walnut/wenge 5string model, and I had the same issue. I thought it was too damm bright. It was very articulate, and the slap sound was killer. But to me it didn't have enough "booty" as some of my band mates(drummer) were refering to it. It wasn't as round and warm as I would have liked it for finger style. I dont think the alder and maple version I tried were as bright. I think its more versatile.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    3rdEye,

You're added to the list I posted above! Tell me more! :D

10. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    Ebozz, at home I was playing the Cirrus through an SWR combo amp. It sounded really good playing by myself. On rehearsals I was playing through my friends Ampeg SVT Pro 4 4x10cab plus 15'rig. I think they sound better through SWR rigs. Through the Ampeg it sounded really bright, thin and hollow. Band mates were asking "Is that bass made for just soloing". I had some DR Hi-beam strings on it and experimented by getting some nickel plated strings. I didn't like the nickels at all so I put the DR's back on. The musical setting I guess could be described as Funk/R&B/experimental rock....ala Weapon of Choice if you know who they are. I ended up trading it in for a Spector Czech 5 sting. They can be bright too. But the "Booty" factor was there. I went back to the jam/rehearsal with the Spector and everything was cool. Spectors have their pros and cons too. Peavey Cirrus's are great basses. I would still buy one but it would just have to be a different wood combo.

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the feedback! [​IMG]

I'm currently using a Peavey MAX preamp with an E&W PS-1000 (1000 Watts) power amps or a Peavey KiloBass head (1000 Watts) into either a Genz Benz 410T-STD or two single GB-12T cabs. My strings are currently the D'Addario Slowound SW2000-5SL sets and I've been thinking of giving a coated EXP170-5SL set a try on it. I get all of the bottom that I can handle without even touching the onboard EQ. If I boost? Watch out! :D

As I said earlier, I have a bubinga/walnut 5. Since the body and neck woods would be very similar to the wenge/walnut, I would think that they would sound somewhat similar. And, although I have not played the maple/alder I would tend to believe that it would be brighter sounding than either of the versions with the walnut bodies/necks.

The redwood/alder that I played was much brighter sounding to me than my Cirrus and wasn't to my liking. Very few Spectors have been available to me but the ones that I have come in contact with were a much brighter than I would prefer. Of the Spectors tend to have EMG electronics in them which I think has some influence on that bright tone. Different strokes, eh?

12. i was playing a redwood topped cirrus with fodera stainless strings through a kern/mackie/epifani rig and still no life.

it wasn't just the sound that had no life but it seemed that i couldn't really get comfortable with the feel of the bass itself. i kept switching from my tobias fretless to the cirrus and felt that the cirrus had so much less "character" to it. but maybe it's just me.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the feedback VC. If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. ;) That redwood/alder wasn't my thing either and I have never tried any stainless string sets on mine.

14. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    At home in my living room, I was running the wenge/walnut cirrus 5 into an aguilar DB 659 --> qsc plx 2402 --> aguilar GS210. Through this rig at a moderate living room volume the sound was nice. Bright & modern.

Then through a raven labs PHA-1 headphone amp the sound was too bright. Even with tmost of the highs rolled off of the bass & amp, I could not dial out enough high end.

When I took it to practice I was playing through a SWR 350 into a bergantino 1-15. With my other basses the bergantino usually sounds awesome. Deep & fat with nice highs. With the cirrus plugged in I had the same issue with the highs. My drummer called it pingy. The sound was just harsh & I found the sound too in your face.

Also, the spacing is a little tight. Its really hard to get used to when you are used to playing basses with wide spacing.

This just my opinion of this particular bass & as usual YMMV.

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks jivetkr. Could it be that the Cirri don't like SWR? :D ;) Just kidding. Were you using stainless strings also?

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Both the ones I had were great sounding. My first ate 9-volts though. There is a level of quality above Cirrus, but you're talking a $3500 list bass, probably hand made or assembled.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine worked fine live. I used the stock strings on mine and it really retained the Cirrus character. I set the EQ on the amp at the bass flat and just turned up the volume.

It was nice but for me there's a level above it that's just nicer. And by that I don't mean more expensive. Typically a combination of the Peavey's articulateness and some major punch all over the bass. Still a very nice bass IMO.