Anyone with experience selling online?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Hi. I want to sell some pedals and my friends aren't coming through. I was wondering if anyone has sold anything here on the TB Classifieds and can fill me in on the best way to do it? Best way to get paid/ship the stuff? I searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, I haven't sold anything on TalkBass, despite having posted more than one ad, but I have made a couple of purchases and had a great experience So great, I volunteered to moderate the forum! Well, not really, but you get the idea...

First of all, write a good description of the item you want to sell. Age, cosmetic and functional condition, etc. Posting pics is not necessary, but it helps. Don't forget to add the price and mention how flexible you are. Is it an "asking" price, meaning you accept offers? or is it "Firm", meaning that your asking price is what you expect to get for it? Is there anything you're interested in trading for the item you're selling? Sometimes, trading can me more lucrative than selling.

The payment method is up to you. Personal checks are usually ok, with the understanding on the buyer's part that the check must clear prior to shipment of the item.

Bank cashier's checks are another option, although I would also wait for a confirmation of deposit prior to shipment, especially if it's from a bank you've never heard of.

Money orders, especially postal money orders, are my favorite form of payment for long distance transactions. Postal money orders can be deposited in banks or cashed at the post office.

Wire transfers are an option you can look into, but one which I know nothing about.

Lastly, you could become a member of PayPal, which allows people, to transfer funds to your account automatically through the computer. This service enables you to accept credit cards. Unfortunately, there's a membership fee.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It may help to put the price in the title.
  4. Thanks for the info. Now what's the best way to ship something? UPS? Postal? FedEx? I don't have to worry about getting a Yellow Freight truck with pedals. :)
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Oops, forgot that one.

When I did the eBay thing, I'd ship UPS. Small things, like a pedal or such can be sent via USPS via priority mail.

As for putting the price in the title, I think that's an excellent idea. I think I'll suggest that in the classifieds.

(You saw that in the didepit, didn't you, POT?);)
  6. I buy and sell a lot on eBay, Yahoo Auctions, and through classifieds.

Like BW said, Pics are nice but not necessary on small auction sites and/ or classifieds. If you sell on eBay or Yahoo, a picture is almost a must have. eBay has several thousand items just in the Musical Intruments > Guitars > Bass section. I skim through the pics and if my eye catches something, then I'll take a closer look.

Price, shipping method (FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc), payment method (check, money order, credit card, paypal, etc) are a must have.
    Paypal does have a service fee, but it is a one way fee. The seller pays a small fee with each transaction, but the buyer doesn't have any fees. If you choose to go this way (I do most of my online buying through Paypal) you can state that the buyer covers all fees in your ad/ auction.
    The fees are small, as well, pennies on the dollar.

For description: Brand name, style, how many string, age, wear and tear (if any), upgrades (if any).
    For Example, if I were to sell my Squier, this is what it might look like.

Squier by Fender Electric Bass Guitar.

I'm selling a 4 string Squier Affinity Precision Bass. I am the original owner, I bought it new in 1997. It has a solid alder body, black finish, maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. I have replaced the control pots with direct Fender replacements, upgraded to Seymoure Duncan Quarter Pound pick ups. I have also added a black pickguard and a chrome bridge cover to give it a vintage look. There is some minor wear on the body, light scraches and such, and one ding in the paint near the bridge. None of the wear effects playability.
    Softshell case and strap included at no extra charge.

Don't bother with some sad story or sales pitch, leave that to TV commercials. People interested in buying your product don't care if you have to sell all you can to buy groceries because you lost your job when Enron went under. Even if that is the case, buyers are not gonna feel sorry for ya, they just want to buy what you're selling. It's best to describe what you are selling and leave it at that. Be honest. Don't say you have Seymoure Duncan pick ups if they are actually the stock pick ups.

One nice thing about auction sites is the Feedback. If you are a crappy seller and rip someone off, they can let everyone know that. If you are a great seller, with good communication, fast transactions and quick shipping, people can see that as well. If you have a zero feedback, you can state in your ad that you are just starting out. some people will be wary about this, but that's just something you gotta deal with. If buying from an auction, check the buyers feedback before you bid. If people are unhappy, find out why. Some people will sell a whole bunch of inexpensive stuff to boost their feedback, then sell some thing at several hundred dollars, get the money, and not send it. The feedback system shows the end price of each sale, so be wary about buying a $500 item when the seller has only sold $5 items in the past.
    Hope this helps.

PS, I'm not really selling my Squier, just put that up there as a reference.