Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone with hands on experience with 2x12 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Mar 3, 2006.

1. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    In particular the GK Neo and Mesa Boogie incarnations, but feedback on any 2x12 bass-specific cabs will do...

Pros?
    Cons?
    Personal likes and/or dislikes?

I'm-a-gassin' again!:rollno:

2. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    I had an Avatar 212 Neo cab. It sounded great, but I didn't care for the overall size of the cab (portability), so I sold it and went with two 112 cabs. They are easier to carry and I can use just one if that's all I need.

3. Maybe the weight, but other than that they rock!

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I'm loving my Eden 212XLT, best cab I've owned. This is my second, it's 4 ohms, I recently sold my 8 ohm 212XLT to Millard here, I believe he's digging it as well.

Pros: sounds excellent - can be smooth and buttery or aggressive and growly/snarly depending on how you dirve it (I suppose 'responsive' would be a good descriptor). Also great low freq response, great for my style (blues-based rock), 103dB, handles 400W (I give her 550W), not too big or heavy, adj tweeter, removable casters.

Cons: carpet covered (but that helps the sound...), some consider the tweeter harsh, but I don't... I can't think of any real cons that aren't inherent to any 212.

Likes/dislikes: good compromise between 10s and 15s for response and throw, punchy and thumpy, but again that'll generally be the case with any 212. I've heard good things about the MM Audiophile 212, but have no direct experience with that cab.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yep, I got tired of hauling around my Genz-Benz XB-410 and wwent for their NeoX-212T. I love it! It's light and very warm and deep in tone. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Carvin BRX12, No Carpet!

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Color me confused. :eyebrow:

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    My main cabs are Tech CT2000 2x12". They are like nothing else I've ever heard.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I gigged with an Eden 212XLT for years, and I really like it. It's one of my favorite Eden cabs. I currently own a Bergantino HT212, and this cab is just fantastic. It really wowed them at the GTG last weekend. The Accugroove Whappo, Jr. is basically a 2x12 (with a mid and two tweets) and it's on my all-time favorites list. I own two custom 2x12 Wizzy's, or Super Wizzy's (Swizzy's!), from Steve Azola, which just kick @ and take names with my DB 750. And I've heard great things about the Glockenklang and Epifani 2x12's, so yes. The 2x12 is a very viable configuration, in my book.

Tom.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My main cab back home is an Avatar B212.

The pros: TONE, volume, versatility-i played everything from distorted bass guitar to upright through it and it handled them all with ease.

Cons: Size-i think it weighed 75 pounds. I did not take it here [school] with me primarily because of this.

That's all

11. I used an SWR 2X12 for about 9 years. I'll wrap my pros and cons for this box in one sentence: small enough for you to think you can fit it in your small car, but large enough to make said task a complete pain in the ass.

I'd still have this today but it went for a swim recently. If you can find one, pick it up. The box also fits the parameters needed for the Eminence Delta LF 12, if you feel the need to change drivers.

Mike

12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    12's are the happy medium between 15's and 10's. I am happy with my switch to 12" cabs. I use a Schroeder 1212 and 1210. They are really good for that low midrange that I like to dial in. I can always hear myself.

13. I have a Genz Benz 212xb that was my main cab for several years. I still use it sometimes when I need lots of volume. The tone is very fat and loud. I hope to use it as an extension cab for my Mesa Walkabout Scout at some point. Havent needed to move that much air yet though.

The downside of most 212s is the weight. The GB has buit in castors that make it pretty easy to maneuver, but I would not buy a 212 again simply for the weight factor.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Very big cab, but is essential in my sound.

15. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Thanx for all the great info!!!

Keep it comin'... keep it comin'!!!

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Schroeder 1212, I love it. Although it almost has too much bottom end (I know I know, blasphemy ;) ), so I think I'm going to try a 1210, AccuGroove Tri112, or something else similar next.

It has a lot more oomph than my old SWR 4x10 and sounds a lot better (and louder) so I'm happy.

17. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    + on the Schroder 1212 I love it. Plenty of sound. I'm gassin' for a 1212L or a 1210L.

They're smaller and lighter than most other 2-12 cabs, so if size matters!!! I know at 2:00 am when your loading out, it sure as hell does.

18. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Best 2 12 i ever played is the Accugroove's Whoopo Jr. Best speaker cabinet I heard is the Whoopo Jr. I know the bad press it has received but as far a sound it's the whoopo jr IMHO. But you have to try them yourself. I can't tell the times i have bought things by recommendations only and was not pleased. But I tried alot of 12's as i really wanted a 2 12 cab from playing 10's for years (EDEN and EA's) I wanted a different sound that only 12's can produce and the Whoopo Jr was all that. Don't get me wrong I like the Epifani alot and Bergantino stopped making the 2 12 's at the time. Although I heard the IP's are great. But what I have had and played I like the Whoopo Jr. But try alot.

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use a SteelSound 2x12 below a 2x10 for larger gigs, but I've had the 2x12 out by itself....very nice, fat tone! The thing weighs about 50-60 lbs, so it's not bad at all, but if carrying is an issue, just get some casters mounted.

The 2x12 cabs are quickly overtaking the 4x10 as the new standard bearer, IMO, so I'd strongly suggest them as the foundation to your rig

20. Out of semi-laziness, I'm stacking my 112 on my 212 right now. I'm not sure where I would be without my 12's, and I really can't see my self switching away from them in the near future.

Sure, the 212 is big and heavy, but 410's are too.