Anyone with knowledge of Wenzel Kohler bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassman blue, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Hi, I searched the archives but couldn't find much on the following bass manufacturer. If anyone has info or theories, I'd appreciate your time. Regards,

The following info comes from two tags inside the bass, made in Czech.
    Wenzel Kohler
    LUBY (Schonbach)
    230 3/4

Orchestra Laminated
    William Lewis and Son

The best I can tell is that before the Selmer Co. purchased the William Lewis and Son Co., that William Lewis and Son imported basses under their name between 1896-1937.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Although I haven't heard of this name exactly, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Wenzel Kohler is a Lewis trade name. Just some made up combination of proper nouns. German plywood bass, right?

Nobody has yet to respond to your query, and it's really early, and I can't sleep, and I hope this helps.
  3. I think Nick is absolutely right on this one. I looked up Wenzel Kohler and found there was a maker by that name in the early 1800's. In a 1904 catalog, Lyon & Healy showed a Kohler model (violin) in their line of German factory fiddles. I suspect that Mr. Kohler was long gone by then.

I don't know where you came up with the dates for the Selmer takeover, but I do know from personal experience that Lewis & Sons did import and sell double basses under their name up until atleast the early 1970's. I remember selling some to a local school district back then.