Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyoone checked out G-Audio?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Apr 25, 2004.

1. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Anyone seen these or, more specifically, tried one?

G-Audio Shock 40B

Could be the answer to a lot of heavy rack issues for me, but the relatively low wattage and lack of a horn concerns me.

Anybody seen any of their stuff?

2. Looks interesting. I would just like to throw in a couple thoughts.

The weight from the rack is in the cab. Just moving weight. Not losing it.

An integrated power source means you're stuck with it. If you have a modular system you can change components when necessary or desired.

3. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    G-Audio Shock 40B is 90 lbs., SWR Goliath 4x10 is 89. The weight is only a factor in relation to the loss in potential volume. I.E., if a single cab has the sound quality/volume to do the job, which is my real concern here, weight isn't really an issue. Also, it's easier to castor and push a 4x10 cab than it is a 6 space rack.

I agree with the integrated power source comment, but, of course, many of us are already using integrated preamp/power amp setups. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the crucial stage of signal loss the cable used between the power amp and speakers? If so, than having an appropriate cable at the shortest possible length built in would be a benefit. Also, I can see the advantage of an integrated power amp/speaker combo over an integrated preamp/power amp combo to be that it would be easier to use a variety of different preamps to get different sounds. Also, for me, the ability to eliminate a power amp would mean getting rid of three spaces in my rack, two for the amp and one for the space I leave for cooling. That means I could add three spaces of other neato gadgets to shape my sound and still cut back on the weight of the rack.

I'm excited about the potential here, but have serious doubts regarding the G-Audio cab due to it only being 300 watts. I received an email from the president of the company stating that they felt that 300 watts was plenty loud and clean and that they weren't planning a higher powered version. Maybe I'm just a power hog, but I'm not sure I would agree with that sentiment without first being able to try it for myself.

FYI, the cost of that particular cab is $859 direct from the company.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes and no. Yes if the cable is long, no if it isn't. I have a 2.5' (< 1m) 12 guage cable. This is way overkill. I think for that length I only need 16 guage. With Neutrik connectors, I never have to worry about power loss in the cable!

Note that if you use 1/4 jacks, you can lose power there if you run more than 100W continuous.