Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anypickup suggestions to get a vintage vibe outta my ash bodied Schecter Deleo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Hey all-

First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Here's the deal. I use my Deleo for motown and R&B type stuff. I've got it strung with Rotosound flats and a chunk of foam under the strings at the bridge and the tone is ok... but not right. The E and A strings are nice sounding but the best way to describe the D and G is eeewww. Way too nasally and bright.

So I'm looking to change the p-pup, and I'd like to hear some suggestions. I know the ash body is a bit brighter sounding than a alder pbass, But I think with the right p pup and tweaking the settings on my amp, I'll get pretty close to "the sound"TM.

I'm thinking along the lines of Fender's '62 reissue, DiMarzio p126(I think that's what they call it) or SD antiquity.

Anyone have any of these in a ash bodied bass, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Bob

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe you should try changing strings first. Roto flats are notorious for strong highs. I suggest LaBella DTF, D'Addario Chromes, or Fender Flats.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Also, before you go swapping out pickups see if adjusting the pickup height might mellow the highs. Could be that the pickup is placed closer to the D and G string than the E/A.

Also, a real cheap way to take out some brightness is to pick closer to the neck.

But if you tried those things and the sound still isn't there for you, you can't go wrong with a 60s RI pickup. Pure vintage vibe there.

4. Thanks...

As far as Labella flats, I was thinking about doing just that. If they're good enough for that guy, what's his name...Jamerson? ;) My gut is telling me it's the pups that are too bright. Probably should try the string change first, though.

As far as the adjustments you suggested, Jive1, I've tried both with modest success. Solo'ing the p pup and playing at the neck were by far greater improvements than adjusting the height- that just seemed to make the pup sound thinner or weaker- I'm not sure how to describe what I heard.

Have you tried the 60's reissues in a ash bodied bass? Did it have "the sound"tm? It's not that hard to find a Fender reissue to play around here, but they all seem to be alder. I'm curious to know if there is a noticeable difference when these pups are in a ash body, and if the difference can be EQ'd out.

Bob

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The 60s RI pups have "the sound" to my ears. I've heard them in alder and ash body, and didn't notice much of a difference. I did not notice them to be too bright either. I currently have them in an alder body bass, that is strung with 2 year old flats and foam under the bridge and it sounds fabulous.

As far as EQ them out, if for some reason the ash body makes them brighter, then a simple rolling of the tone knob will help out alot. But I found that ash doesn't necessarily make things sound brighter, I have heard ash body basses that actually sounded darker.