Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything bad to say about the BBE BMAX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Anythingbad to say about the BBE solid state preamp? I'm thinking about going the seperate route and just getting one of these and a cheap 300 watt (in 8 ohms) per side power amp.

2. First let me say it is WELL worth the money. I think the low point on the Bmax is the compressor. It is easy to dial in too much and the sound breathes. If you are careful dialing it in for the peaks it works fine though. I decided I don't need a compressor in my rig anyway.

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    My BMAX-T is outstanding and I've heard nothing but great reviews of the SS.

4. The Bmax is a great little preamp. Nice smooth tone.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I heard it at a local show back in Rochester, and it surprised me. I was once on the fence between the BMax and the Sansamp RBI... and I finally made a compromise which involved me picking up the BDDI.... and the BMax will likely be my preamp in the future. Good way to balance things I suppose.

It's just an A+ deal... even the Tube version.

6. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A curious bump :)

8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I've had my bmax-t for a while now and I just love it. Really an excellent pre. The main difference I've heard of between the tube and SS is that the SS responds a hair quicker, but that's to be expected. Ditto on the earlier compressor comments. The sonic maximizer is great. Turn it on and you wont notice the difference. Play with it on for two weeks, then turn it off, and you REALLY notice the difference. It's not a gimmickey thing like the Aural Enhancer or that type crap. It actually changes the sound in a non-eq way, and fro the better in all cases. Just a great little pre. Probably gonna dump it soon tho, just cant haul my 70 lb road case around anymore.

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I had an "out of box" problem, some strange slight craclking noise with the highs. Fortunately I live about 5 minutes from BBE. LSS, after the second attempted fix of the problem, with replaced parts each time, they just gave me a new unit...problem solved. A+ customer service. A+ pre-amp.