Anything besides Carvin R600 for the $?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eli, May 23, 2002.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So I actually got clearance from my chief financial officer to upgrade my trusty Carvin PB500. I'm eyeballing Carvin's R600, which is about the same power as my PB500 with some cute upgrades like more bands in the graphic EQ, more compressor control, a tube emulator blend, and 1/4" jacks for the bridged power amp output (instead of those stupid banana things). Nothing wrong with the PB500, I just like the new features and the R600 is 2 rack spaces instead of the 3 that the PB500 is -- which will give me space to add my new Behringer 5-band full parametric Ultra-Q Pro!

SO the question is:

Does ANYTHING else out there compete with the Carvin for the money ($569 including the footswitch)? I definitely need the power -- 500W bridged mono into 8 ohms. And I do like the footswitchable graphic -- I use that for solo mode. But I do now have the Behringer, so I might be able to live without two footswitchable tone settings on the amp itself.

Whaddya's think?
  2. I don't know about anything new that's the same value. I have the series I R600 head and it still kicks butt. It's never screwed up and gets as loud as I want it to be. Even if there is a better deal out there, you won't be disappointed with it. However, there's a website for a store here in Nashville called Broadway music. It's a consignment shop. The site is . They have an SWR 750 (used) for $750. It's on consignment, so you may be able to make an offer. They also have the Warwick Pro Fet head for like $550 (used). It only has a Speakon or XLR out, but you can get converters if you need them. Still, you're not going to be disappointed with the Carvin. And Carvin charges shipping too, so don't forget that. Peace.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"...Does ANYTHING else out there compete with the Carvin for the money ($569 including the footswitch)...?

I couldn't find anything new to compete near the same price point. Otherwise, I'd would have had to play the iffy game of buying used.

There's not a doggone thing wrong with the R600. I get the full 600W because I pair it with two, 8 ohm cabs, (not Carvin). Mine has serious mileage and considerable operation hours, but it can still rearrange the club's decor if I ever opted to do so and the place isn't too big. Your power potential is very close.

If budget will allow, I suggest you spend a few extra bucks for the R1000. The added power vs. price differential makes it a bargain. Those "clip" lights shouldn't illuminate, if at all.

Admittedly, both my R heads are Series II with the 12AX7's, not the newer "tube emulator." But, I think the Series III model will serve you righteously, from the comments I've seen by many Series III owners. Ordering without being able to try them out up front takes some faith. But I think you will find your trust is rewarded. Plus, if your test of it is a "crash-and-burn", sending a head back for a refund isn't too punishing since they don't weigh a ton.

If you order one, please let us know what you think.
  4. Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    I've got a Series III R1000 (which I actually plan on selling anyways...nothing at all wrong with it but I just find the tone isn't what I'm looking for) and the one complaint I've heard from people who have the R600 is people wish they would've spent the extra dough on the R1000 as they find they could've used the extra power.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'll second that. Not enough power.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nothing I know of compares for the bucks if we're talking new equipment. You might at least look at comparable G-Ks and Hartkes, which many folks like; personally I prefer the Carvin by a significant margin.

I echo the advice of rickbass1 et al: spend another $80 and get the R1000. Significantly more power for not much more money is a good thing.
  7. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I have an R600, for me it has plenty of power, I also use it with a sansamp, it can't be beat for the price. But I also think the solid state tube emulator is useless.
    Hey Basslord, sorry to hear your getting rid of your R1000, you might want to try a sansamp to see if thats the sound your looking for.
  8. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, heck... we should talk. How old is it? Not very, I suppose, if it's a Series III.

Which brings up the next question for everyone: If I get an R1000 and use it bridged mono, it puts 700 watts into 8 ohms. My lone speaker is a Carvin 15" 500W @ 8 ohms. How close will I ever come to cooking the speaker with this amp if I never turn it past, say, 6 or so? I'm sure the wattage is not proportional to the setting... am I safe?
  9. Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    Yeah, actually been thinking it for the past month or so (haven't told the board yet and kinda scared too actually :( ). Actually getting rid of the whole rig which I know is pretty silly since I've had it for only a few months. One of the main reasons was I had a hard time getting the 4x10 in and out of my car (car's only a 2 door) so I've been looking for a more portable rig. In terms of the head, it's flexible and powerful but the sound is still not what I'm looking for...but I think even before I got the Carvin I was considering a poweramp/preamp thing. Just the idea of it seemed so cool to me. Plus I think even as time progressed I missed the SWR sound...even though I feel the SWR sound lacked warmth, but other than that it sounded great. I'm convinced I'll never be happy with a bass rig, or at least that's what my mom told me LOL. I think I'm going through the "finding my sound" phase with amps. Maybe eventually I'll find something I really like (also teaches me to be more aware of cab dimensions as well). Regardless of my experience I'll still buy some things from Carvin (I've noticed they've got great prices on guitar & amp stands and other accessories) and I might buy a small guitar amp from them within time. In no way do I think that Carvin "sucks" as some people tend to put it...just their bass amps, good...but not for me.
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Uhhh.....that's your wife, right?

11. Basslord1124

May 22, 2002
    It's not old at all...bought about 2 months ago, think it was around March 20th or something like that. In terms of the situation of bridging into a 500W 15" at 8 ohms I really don't know...but I've bridged it once into my 8ohm 4x10 (which is rated at 600W) and it was pretty loud with volume at 2! :eek: I've heard stories of people who run amps with a much higher wattage than their cabs can handle with no problems...don't think they went cranking em to 10 or anything but I believe it's possible. I'm selling the Carvin RL410 if you'd want that too. If not I understand. You can email me at for more info (yeah I'm pretty consistent with my username :D )
  12. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    I recently purchased a SUNN 1200s, Brand Spanking new from Chuck Levins in Wheaton , MD. The SUNN is a hybrid, tube preamp and solid state amp, it produces 1200 wrms into 2 ohms @< 0.2% THD. Weighs 35 lbs., Has two channels, one for clean and one for distortion, 11 band Graphic EQ, High and Low compressors. I've been searching for months on end and could not pass up this one. Contact Tim Fizer at, he may have one left.
  13. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    I forgot to state the price. $569.00
  14. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Sunn doesn't have two power amps and a crossover, does it? And do you know what its power output is at 8 ohms?
  15. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    * bump *

Anyone else have opinions/comments?
  16. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    (ignore this post)
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm still using a RL1000, and it's doing fine. Rarely need to push it hard. Lots o' power. Tonally, I have no complaints. I use Aguilar cabs though, and these have been a vast improvement over the ones I had before.

Not a bad amp at all. The only thing I'll consider replacing it with is an Aggie DB750.
  18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I don't beleive the 1200S has 2 power amps or a crossover, but I would guess it probably has somewhere around 500-600 watts of power at 8 ohms.

I have a Sunn 300T (which is, of course, all tube, whereas the 1200S is solid state) and I *LOVE* the tone of it.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That Sunn is a bargain IMO. As far as what it doesn't have, I've found biamping to be useless so the lack of two separate amps or a crossover would be non-issues. Most decent cabs can handle full range sound so the need to ... oh never mind :)

If the Carvin has all of the features "you" need ... go for it.
  20. Anything besides Carvin R600 for the $?

I'm sure there must be.