Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anything better Ibanez SR300 for its money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfgfgf, May 22, 2005.

1. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    a friend of mine wants to buy a bass. he hadn't play bass for years and now he just wants to try playing it and see if he likes it. he's got $300-400 US ("US" - 'cause I'm in Canada) and the best thing at this price range is Ibanez SR300, as far as I can see. is there anything else?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I would suggest checking out the new Yamaha BB414, Fender standard jazz or the SX basses if you really want to save some bucks. The thinnest neck of the bunch will be the Ibanez. If your friend is stuck on the SR300, tell him he can pick up a second hand Ibanez dx 300 (basically the same as the sr300) for around 200 - 250 used on Epray.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Do you mean is there anything of better value in the same price range or in any price range?

4. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I really havn't seen schecter mentioned all that much. I think it's because people can't get passed the name sounding like some kind of sexually transmitted disease.(As in: Last night I spent time with heather, This morning I woke up with a schecter lump on the side of my Ibanez :eyebrow: ) Tell your friend to go play a schecter C4 @ your local guitar center. Keep an open mind and don't worry about what people say, they are a great value and very well made. He can probably pick one up for a tad over 400 bills, new in the box of course. They are set up well and are easy to play with a slim neck and great pick ups. I actually returned an Ibanez because of electrical problems, the schecter C4 replaced the Ibanez, no regrets of course. :D

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I owned a Stiletto Elite once. It was a nice bass but I prefer something with a little more aggressive tone. Nice workmanship on it though.