Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything better than Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Oct 26, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    So I've been playing Epi 2x10" and 1x15" for a while and realy liked it!

The cabs are realy clean and have a nice punch. The best cabs I've ever heared.

But I've never heared Bergantinos and Schroeders and some cabs like that..

So do you think that those cabs are better than Epifanis? And why?

Thanks for your help

2. Which model Epifani's are you playing.... the T's, NYC's or UL's? And... what style of music do you play and what type of sound are you going for (modern, funk, old school fingerstyle, grindy rock, etc.).

I like the EpifaniUL line of cabs above all others at the moment, due to their volume/weight ratio, and to the incredible upper mid range and treble articulation and very tight punchy low end. I also very much like my Schroeder1210.... very different sounding that the EpiUL, but nice also.... the low mid punch of the Schroeder really allows it to cut through and be incredibly loud for its size.... MUCH louder, for example, than the Epi210UL, which is actually a larger, if lighter, cab. However, very different tone... more aggressive and meaty than the EpiUL line.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tangent: what's the difference between the Ts and the NYCs? I've always thought they were the same...

4. For the most part, they are. However, Nick changed the crossover a lot between the early T line and the final NYC cabs.... so if you have an ealier T model, they sound way different in the treble response (very harsh and a little clanky to my ear), whereas the NYC's treble response is similar to the UL (IMO).

Also, some of the cab designs changed also..... for example, the earlier T-310 was only 16" deep, whereas the NYC was the full 18".... the T-210 was very shallow with diagonally oriented speakers, whereas the later T's and NYC's were full depth and in a horizontal configuration. They each really sound different.

5. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    I highly recommend calling Nick at Epifani.
    He'll give you the straight scoop and is very happy to discuss his product.

6. I think we are hijacking the thread! Anyway, since the T's and NYC's are discontinued, the only reason I wanted to know what the thread originator was using is that, per my earlier post, there a big differences in these versions of the cabs.... comparing other cabs to an old T210 is a very different thing than comparing another cab to a recent 210UL :)

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In answer to the original question, from a totally subjective viewpoint with all things considered: Nothing, really. :D

8. From a fellow 410UL'er.... I agree... if you want a huge wump in a ridiculously lightweight package with a super articulate reponse and high efficiency, there's not much else that comes close that I've played or owned. :hyper:

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The 410ul weighs nothing, cos it sits at home, I take the berg 322 instead. :rolleyes: :p

As far as better than epifani, I dont know about better, but different. I have a few cabs (including the epi 410ul) and take different ones out just for fun, but for my tastes, I think the 322 sounds better. With that said, different cabs work better with different basses. I think people should pay attention to this more. jmo

btw, I do like the 410ul :)

10. Great point. I regularly use an Epi410UL and a Schroeder1210. For anyone familiar with both those cabs, they are quite different. However, I find that each one works wonderfully with different amp and bass combinations for different types gigs in different rooms. Of course, it's a luxury to have a couple or a few different rigs, but it really is nice to have those options.

Also +1 to 'not better or worse... just different'.... especially once you get in the Berg, EA, Epifani, Accugroove, etc. level of gear. As has become very clear to me on all these wonderful threads, we all have our different sound requirements.... some shockingly different than others! While a good player can get his/her sound from almost any rig, it's wonderful to be able to match the 'tone in your head' with an amp/bass/cab whose manufacturer has 'that same tone in his/her head'. :bassist:

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And guess who redesigned the crossover in the Epi cabs? :D Ok, ok......starts with Ber and ends with gantino..... ;)

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Only whatever YOU like better.

Some of you are familiar with my ice cream analogy. While you had good intentions, your question could be reworded thus; "I really like rocky road ice cream a whole lot. Is there anything better??" Sure, lots of us could chime in and say we like vanilla, peanut butter, or fudge almond better. But none of us are you, so we don't have your taste buds (or ears) and we don't have your conception of what tastes (or sounds) the best or even good. ;)

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Yes. Plenty.

And every right minded individual knows black raspberry is the best.

:p

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, really?

any validation on this?

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, he had redesigned the crossover for the NYC cabs. Don't know if it's been changed for the newer cabs though.

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    psshh... straight vintage Black Walnut baby

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you can find it, let me know... ;) :p

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There isn't, I stopped looking. :D

-Mike

19. I guess there was some nastiness about that a while back in some threads. However, ignoring all of that, the UL crossover is just amazing sounding, and I assume is similar to the design in the NYC's.

20. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... my Epi 210 is 18" deep, has diagonal speakers with 'Epifani' on the cones, and has "Model DET-210" written on the back. Wonder if this is one of the earlier or later T's... ? Sounds great, tho! :bassist: