1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anything better than my Baby Blue II Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Apr 1, 2006.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi!

I've been playing Baby Blue II for some time and I'd like to know if there's anything better than this combo for what I need. And I need a 150-200 W (and under $1000) combo for practicing with different drummers for kinds of music from soul and funk to be-bop and hard-bop.
    I'd like it to have that low end growl and punch and a nice finger bass tone with enough high end and crispness.

Thanks

2. For me, SWR is like Eden at half-power, with a blanket over the cab. No offense- I love the looks of SWR, but the few rigs of theirs I've owned never gave me what I was after. Search for CXC-110, in BG & DB forums. I LOOOOVE mine- w/a CX-110 ext cab, it came to just under a grand, IIRC. Much more power than you're looking for, but you don't have to turn up, do you?:)

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I'd disagree. I own both, and the baby blue is probably the nicest product out of the swr camp (imho). It's an accurate amp, and really suited for said applications.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Genz Benz NEOX 400-112T. Has a switchable, blendable ss AND tube pre and pushed 425 watts at 4ohms with the extension speaker.

5. I must admit I've never seen/heard/touched a Baby Blue. I probably shouldn't, as I'm content w/my setup right now.:rolleyes: But every time I played through my Bass 350 OR 750 into 6x10, I was always turning up bass, then mids, then juuust a bit of treble... a touch more volume... etc, etc. W/the Eden(CXC-110+CX-110+Avatar CB-112), the EQ is mostly flat(slight bump at the mids), gain at 1:00, master at 12:00, & I'm good. I can now hear ALL my mistakes.:rolleyes:

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Get a trace elliot! :)

7. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Summersoft, may I make a suggestion? Set the controls flat and then set the midrange to 400hz and turn it down 6db. Set the treble on 2k and turn it up 3db. Then add a touch of aural enhancer and see what you think. Smooths out my tone and adds some crispness for me.

This is of course if volume isn't the issue. It is rated at 160 watts.

8. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Get an Acoustic 370, or 360 you will have your baby blue and all the funk you want

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use a Baby Blue II for small gigs, and it has a terrific clean sound, better than any combo that "I" personally have played through.

That being said, it depends on your situation and preference. In my top40/rock cover gig, even when I've used the BBII through the PA, the sound is a bit "too clear" and for the situation I prefer the wooly grunt of the Eden Navigator, whether through a cab or just the monitors.

For a jazz gig, the BBII would be perfect for me, though, whether run through just the PA, or a power amp with an extension cab. Its a great little amp.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an use the baby blue 2x8, and "if it's loud enough for your applications," I really can't recommend another small combo that I like any better.
    I'm not an overall swr fan, and perferred the eden metro to the super redhead, but for jobs that require that volume or more, I'm now using TFB420/Schroeder 1210.
    I kept the BBII, and plan to hold onto it.

edit: you might try an old ampeg B100R, or the new ampeg B200R...

11. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    so there's no better in this class?!? :)
    I mean, I don't have a chance to hear many amps in my country, so that's why I was asking.

12. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    IMHO, pound for pound and dollar for dollar it's the best combo ever made. Steve Rabe and Bagend (cabinet design)really got that right.

Buy other gear but never sell that.

My .02

13. Flipper

Flipper sale: Sadowsky NYC PJ5

Jan 11, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    I was actually planning on a CX110 cab to go with my BBII. If I remember correctly this would take impedance to 2.67 ohms @ 180 watts. Anybody ever try that combination?

14. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    And what about Baby Baby Blue?

Is it better? Or are preFender SWRs simply better?