1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anything better then sunbeams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eshalon, Nov 1, 2013.

1. eshalon

eshalon

Sep 4, 2008
    New Zealand
    So far they are my favourite string on my precision. Like the low mid bump and the feel. Just wondering if there's anything else that people like more for a nickel?

2. PhatRon

PhatRon I blow bass

Feb 29, 2012
    Lake Stevens, Wa.
    in years past I used D'Addario nickels on a PJ quite a lot. Sounded pretty darn good and not expensive. More tension than sunbeams and a little more zing when new. I have sun beams on my fretless, love em. On my L1000 not so much, I should probably try the D'Addarios again.
    I've heard good things about the DR lo-rider nickels but I don't know first hand

3. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Circle K is a must-try if you like nickel.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hard to beat Sunbeams, that round core just feels great. Circle K's are VERY bright in comparison.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    TI rounds.

6. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    I love brand new DR Hi beams

7. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Spent a lot of money trying, but not IME or IMHO. Buy another set and fall in love all over again! Not sure if your Pbass has string thru body, but I actually prefer to string thru the bridge on mine. Subtle difference and if you have the option, try both and see if you like one better than the other.

8. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    for me, nothing beats sunbeams, but I haven't tried TI rounds. if they feel like TI flats they could be a winner. although I'm sure they cost a ton.

if I need the stainless piano tone I don't use sunbeams anyway. I use d'addario pro steels. which are only slightly higher tension than hi-beams, sound just as good to me and are a good bit cheaper. but you didn't ask about that.

9. I've been trying the Sunbeams for the last few months and so far I like them for their warm tone and smooth feel.

My left (ie fretting) hand loves the round-core flexibility, but my right hand sometimes begs for a bit more resistance. This is why I have a set of Nickel Lo-Riders to try out next for comparison.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Nothing beats Sunbeams! Hands-down, my favorite string.

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I recently tried out Sunbeams on my #1 P bass and think they are great; Very comfy - but still not sure if I like the way they sound better than my usual GHS boomers, tho.

12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I haven't tried them all by any means, but I prefer DR Sunbeams over Fender 7150 and Ernie Ball Super Slinky nickel rounds. I find the Sunbeams have more low-mid, less high-end zing and lower tension than the Fenders or EBs. Plus they just feel better to me. I haven't tried the TI Jazz nickel rounds yet, but I plan to. They sure are pricy, though!
    Standard disclaimers: IMHO, IME, YMMV, etc.

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    DUNLOPS are the best bang for buck on this planet!!! the tension is perfect for high -speed wanking!:hyper:

14. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Fender 8250s. Much like the Sunbeams but the E behaves differently, it's tapered.

15. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I like the tension of DR Legend flats. I have them on my Gibson SG Standard, Gibson EB 5, Gibson Midtown and Fender AVRI 57 P.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

+1

17. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Only the low strings, imho. The B and E on my set of Circle Ks are still quite boingy, but the A, D, G strings have a really lovely, singing, quality them and they aren't crispy sounding at all. I'm thinking I might go with a different B and E from Circle K, perhaps a lower gauge, to see if I can get them to sing the same way.

18. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Not to get this topic too far off course but what would have similar feel/tone to sunbeams with slightly less tension? I recently switched from TI jazz flats to the 'beams and love the tone. Just miss having less tension.

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You can find some similar strings, but why bother? The Sunbeams sound and feel just great and are not pricey.

20. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I've been testing round wounds over the past year or so and gigging a lot. I have to say that Sunbeams are at the top of my list. Such a great balance of tone, ease of playing, tension, etc. If I had to give them a slight con I'd say that when I want to play really fast, their loose tension slows me down just a little bit. I also really like EB Super Slinky. Same kind of feel, maybe a little higher tension but definitely not considered a high tension string. They start off brighter but then become more like Sunbeams after they've broken in. I'm currently gigging with Fodera nickels (light gauge). These are also very nice strings. A little higher tension than both Sunbeams and Slinkys, but not considered high tension. The feel is a little rougher against the fingers but that doesn't bother me. They really make my bass come alive. A little more sustain than both Sunbeams and Slinkys. Great for slapping and popping too. Those are my current top 3 nickels, where other brands have slid down the list.