Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything but Sansamp? cheaper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superfly, May 15, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Just curious, is there any other product out there that pretty much does what the sansamp bddi does? (tonewise) but cheaper?
    Hartke attack pedal? etc..?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There is a copy that behringer made, but I have heard that it is not that great.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The only thing out there that does what a Sansamp BDDI does only cheaper is the Behringer copy at $39.99. But who models a modeler?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sorry, tp, I beat ya,

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know. :spit:

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There's the Jim Dunlop MXR M-80. It's costs less than the SABDDI. It also doesn't sound quite the same, but it performs many of the same duties...

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    SansAmps aren't really THAT expensive. If you want the "older" version there should be plenty of used ones available now that the programmable version is out. Check the used market and get the real thing. You'll be happier in the long run.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I think if you like waht the sansamp does...get it. I tried an aphex bass exciter instead of a sansamp...cause i figured so many people use the sansamps, i wanted a more unique sound. The aphex is a great bass boost, and way to get more thump out of your setup. But in the long run i realized theres a reason everyone uses sansamps. Because they are the best, most versatile, bass driver/di box out there. Plus you can get alot of different sounds out of it. I don't think I'd run any rig with out one now.

9. Find a cheap tube head. Get a techo to modify it to give a preamp output. Then feed that into your existing rig (assuming it's solid-state).

The Sansamp is really just an OD unit voiced for bass. So, you will find that certain OD/Dist pedals (even those for guitar) will give you similar drive tones, maybe without the tone controls. So, perhaps an equaliser pedal alongside.

Rather than looking for a Sansamp or something similar, look at what YOU want from your sound, then track down the bits to make it so.

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    +1 on the MXR. Great little unit.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    +2 on the MXR. I use one on my pedal board.

12. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    +3
    I use this lovely unit - because it rocks :bassist:

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The Hartke Bass Attack pedal does the same things plus more as the SABDDI and MXR M-80 and costs about $99.99. It is pro quality and versatile. Check out the review in May's Bass Player. I sold my SABDDI when I got the Hartke.

14. +1.

"Expensive" is all relative. The model immediately prior to the current programmable one is indeed readily available on Evilbay and elsewhere and I suspect that the launch of the new model will have a fairly rapid effect on the residual value of the older types.

Buy once and buy well. Accept NO imitations. ;) ;)

15. I also wanted the behringer BDI copy, but insted i bought this:
    http://www.behringer.com/MIC200/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Because it has a metal housing instead of plastic and it comes with a power supply instead of batteries.
    It sounds good and you can also use it on vocals, guitar, anything. It does add some hiss/noise but i can live with that.