1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anything else like an ampeg 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Ok so for tone and punch the ampeg 8x10 is up there, classic midrange punch warm and likes tub drive, but it's too big and loud for the studio. Is there anything in a smaller package single speaker that has the same type of tone. I'm thinking for studio use, something to mic, maybe even a 12 or 15 that maybe comparable? Nothing in the music stores here does it, any suggestions.

or is this just a dumb question?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I cant think of any single speaker cabs to suggest but how about an Ampeg 210AV

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Old B15 maybe?

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I'm currently using a Shuttle 9 on top of a Bergantino NV610. Gets a lot of the SVT vibe and fits in the trunk of my Honda Accord.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My ashdown / Epifani 4x10 rig gets a very nice "SVT" sound when I turn the preamp mix more toward tube...

6. Ampeg 410HLF is a great cabinet. Also, Eden D410XLT, Eden D212XLT and GK 410RBH

7. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    Ampeg B100R! Seriously! The studio where my last band mixed our record and they ran my DI bass track into it and mic'd it and it sounded absolutely amazing! It was the same producer that recorded the Saves the Day record "Sound the alarm" and he used the same exact rig to get that sound and it is one of my favorite recorded bass sounds ever! I fell in love with that amp!

8. Just a small cab that doesn't take up too much space, I have a couple a tube amps to play with already, but looking for that 8x10 tone in a smaller package for studio use and possibly small jams sessions. Something when miced up may be able to cop an 8x10 sound.

9. the 410hlf wont sound like the 810, its a ported cab with a tweeter.. the 810 sounds the way it does because its shelved off to be 4 sealed off 210's stacked up. its very punchy

the berg NV610 sounds similar cuz it also has no porting or tweeter so maybe thats what you want to look for.

10. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    *looks at watch, waits for someone to mention the VT pedal*

11. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    This was my initial thought as well, but I'm not certain about how well it can mimic the tone of a fridge. Aren't the Ampeg 810s essentially four isolated, sealed 210s? Perhaps it wouldn't be too far of a stretch. I can't say anything from experience, though.

It is definitely a nice looking cab, though! Not a bad price, either. :smug:

VT Bass pedal.

12. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    If you are looking for home use, and recording many people say the 210av nails the 8x10 sound. Its not loud enough for a lot of people but in recording i can see it sounding really really close since its built the same way, just scaled down.

13. NV610 is still a big cab, I understand it's supposed to better an 8x10, lighter, smaller, tone etc... believe me I'd like to try one, nearest place that carries one is a 6 hour drive, and I haven't made it out there yet. Eventually I'll have one.

That 210av might be the ticket, I just checked and it's a sealed cab, and "has the ampeg tone" according to ampeg. I'll have to check up on reviews etc.. and see if L&M can bring one in.

14. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Yeah, 210AV is what you want...only issue is that it's 8ohms and if you're talking about running an SVT through it you should be running 4ohms...though lots of knowlegeable people say that if you don't push it you'll be fine...lots also say it's a BAD idea...I tried it for very short periods with my SVT-VR with no problems...sounded SWEET!!!

-JV

15. I'm only interested in cabinets!

Thank you.

16. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I think he was cautioning you that if your amp happens to be an SVT, you'd have to be careful. A lot of tube amps seem to support either 4 or 2 ohm loads. The 8 ohm load presented by the 210AV could be an issue, unless you're running a head that does handle 8 ohm loads.

17. My Traynor YBA-1A ought to fit the bill, SVT-ish bottom with a smooth transition to a grindy Hiwatt-ish top (going by recordings, never actually played a Hiwatt). It's punchy and warm like an SVT but is very clear and breaks up and compresses very nicely. There's debate on the power output, but the tranny can do about 130W if I'm not mistaken. They say 60W-100W depending on the tubes.

And 8ohms is perfect.

18. Sorry for the misunderstanding but that was a general reply to stave off any more pedal, and amp suggestions.

19. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Oh, my bad. Good deal!

20. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A 210 or 410hlf would probably do it... just turn the tweeter off all the way.