Anything I can add to my combo to give it an extra punch? BESIDES A CAB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Aug 4, 2004.

1. I'm new with setting up a nice rig and I feel I made the mistake of getting me a combo to begin with. I have a SWR 15"Workingman's Combo, and I was going to add a cab to it soon to bring up to 200 watts from 160. But my question was, with the added cab, Im sure it won't be loud enough. Only 40 more watts. I got an effect board the BOSS ME-50B, and each time I use the Bottom Boost + Phaser (with all knobs turned down), I get this real nice hard punch to the bass with the Volume and gain half way on my amp, and the bass at about 3 o'clock. Is there anything I can get to add to the combo to get that extra punch without having to use my effect board? I would use the board if it didn't keep that phasery sound to it.

so any suggestions? or is my only choice buying me a whole another rig?
  2. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I dont think adding a cab is going to boost your wattage from your amp..The only thing you can do to boost your wattage is to buy a new amp..
  3. The specs bout the combo I got says with an added cab it gets 200 watts...

just wondering if there is any effect or anything like that, that can give the bass a hard punch to it.
  4. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Hardly any noticable volume from only 40 more watts, but you should get a more articulate tone by adding a 2x10. The 10's will add clarity, so you would come through more, even without the added volume.

I demo-ed a GK 2x10 combo with a 15 cab under it, and the added "voice" compared to just a 15 made a big difference. For the better to my ears, anyway.

Although plenty o'guys run 15's all day long and nail it, so...
  5. ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey

First off, adding a second cab will be signicantly louder because you'll have more speaker surface area moving air.
    If you are looking for an effect pedal, please try the Aphex bass Xciter pedal, A Sansamp BBDI, or a compression pedal - "Punch Factory" also by Aphex.
  6. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    It raises the wattage because you're running the amp at 4 ohms instead of the 8 ohms with just the internal speaker. As far as FX Aphex makes a Bass Xciter pedal and a Compressor pedal called the Punch Factory. I haven't tried either yet so I don't know much about them, but I've heard good things.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Another vote for the Sansamp BDDI . . . .
  8. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated...
    I'll make sure to check each of those out
  9. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    One thing to try would be a more efficient, or sensitive speaker. Let's say you have a speaker that's rated at 90db sensitivity. Switch to a speaker rated at 93db sensitivity, and it takes half the power to reach the same volume. Problem is, good luck actually finding that spec for your speaker...

Maybe just go with a pedal ;)
  10. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Sansamp BDDI gives my Peavey Basic 112 some punch. Try it, you'll like it! ;)
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i hate combos but the wm 15 is an exception
    i've had experience adding a 2nd cab to it and it does make a big difference - just make sure it is an 8 ohm cabinet (it won't run a 4 ohm cabinet as you already have an 8 ohm internal load)
    for a little more volume in the mean time you could try lowering the bass and boosting the mids a bit - with the bass not turned up you'll be able to turn the amp up a bit more before it clips
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    How do you have the tone controls set?
  13. well, you can buy a power amp, can't you? get a few hundred watts more without losing your tone and add a new cab for as much punch as you desire.

Just a question...I have a guitarist who wants to use a multi-fx pedal, but I'm opposed to the use of it because there's way too much "phasery sound" hiss. If he gets a rocktron hush pedal or something, do you suppose that will be taken out?? it's a Zoom 5062 pedal.