1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, Oct 11, 2010.

1. I'm going to be stringing my P bass BEAD and I was wondering if theres anything I should know besides the obviously like making sure the nut is filed for those gauges?

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I think you'll be alright.

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I've never done it, but it seems like it should be a no-brainer. I'm probably stating the obvious, but:

1 There's a good chance the current nut slots will be fine.
    2 Be aware that if you deepen the nut slots, you may need a new nut if you go back to EADG.
    3 You'll probably need to do a trussrod tweak and possibly other minor setup work.

It should be great. Have fun.

4. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    I strung an Ibanez fretless BEAD last week. I had to widen the nut slots slightly and do a complete setup. You will more than likely have to adjust the truss rod, string height, and intonation. It took a day to two of tweaking before everything seemed to settle in.

Just make sure the B string will fit through the bridge, the hole may not be big enough.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That just about covers it, I'd suggest a light 5 string set, .125 B string, and of course, a complete set up. You should be good to go. FYI, I set a bass up for BEAD and later found that D standard, (DGCF) was much more useful.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021