Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything interesting in London right now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Um,

So I'm in London for couple of days, starting from tomorrow evening, and I was wondering if any of you Londoners could recommend me something interesting to see while there?

Also I've understood that some of the stores have moved, so what bass stores should I visit and where?

Any suggestions are welcome!

2. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Hey :)

Go to Tottenham Court Road, and near and in Denmark Street. The place is a music haven, so have a trip down there and have a gander if you're nearby. :)

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The Bass Centre is now in Brune Street, East London, not too far from Liverpool Street station (but you'll probably need a map to find it). The Gallery is still in the same place as it was in January (Royal College Street, near Camden Town tube).

Alas, I'm not free at all over the next couple of days but, if you haven't seen it, you could catch Standing in the Shadows of Motown at the Odeon, Beckenham (show times - Weds only: 1.00pm, 3.30pm, 6.00pm, 8.30pm), which is probably on the train line running south from Victoria station.

Wulf

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oh, I'll be just missing the Standing in the Shadows then, I'll be arriving around 10pm :( Fortunately I'm moving to Southern Finland in January so I'll be able to catch it in Helsinki.

Brune Street, eh? I think I gotta give 'em a visit.. BC was the store that was in Wapping last time I was around, right?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - it's a short walk from Liverpool St. Station - but as Wulf says it is quite hard to find unless you have map - but well worth a visit!

According to their latest newsletter, they have :

Alembics, Sadowsky (5-string Jazz), Ken Smith, Status,Pedulla, Overwater, Wal, Jaydee, Tobias etc. etc.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, I think I'll be getting a tourist map then. I have decent city-navigation skills so I think I'll be fine. Anyone of you gents want a report on something specific?

I also noticed there's an ice skating rink near Liverpool St., I personally haven't owned a pair of ice skates for years, perhaps I need to refresh my skills a bit, even if it's bit odd to be travelling all the way down to UK to skate :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

There is actually a big business centre which is right next to Liverpool Street station - called the Broadgate Centre. So - there are lots of upmarket offices arranged round a big circular area - in the summer they have concerts, plays - I have even seen horse riding displays there at lunchtime.

It is a good place to go at lunchtime if you are working in offices near there - as I have done!

In the Winter they turn this into a skating rink - but it is quite small.

[​IMG]

http://www.broadgateestates.co.uk/ice/frameset.htm
    There are lots of pubs, restaurants etc. round there - but it is mostly geared to office workers during the day and is very expensive!

I am actually in London near there tomorrow afternoon - Thursday 4th- for a meeting from 15.00 to 17.00 !! ;)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now, would you be suggesting something, Sir? :cool:

If you aren't very busy pre and after the meeting, I don't have any specific schedule for Thurs so perhaps I could be around Liverpool St. around that time :bassist:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I'm working during the day - but I could wander over to Liverpool St after my meeting - maybe by about 18.00 and say hi - the only trouble is that I would have said I'd meet you at the Bass Centre - but they close at 17.30!! :(

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    On London maps, there are quite a variety available. I'd recommend something along the lines of the A-Z, which is comprehensive, rather than a tourist map that misses off all the small streets or only has central London. I still take mine around with me unless I've learnt my route by doing it once or twice before (no map needed for The Gallery but I'd need it to confidently reach Brune Street for the Bass Centre).

Wulf

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    18.00 sounds good.

I'll PM you my cell number so you can reach me in London.