1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anything like the yamaha magicstomp??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigbassman8342, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    Hey i read a review of the yamaha magicstomp a few weeks ago and fell in love with the fact that it's a multi-effects units but when switch to live mode it's three idividual stomp boxes at a time. Before this i was lookin at the digitech models but once i learned about the magicstomp i started looking for one and then since it's been discontinued something like it to no avail can someone help me out maybe i been staring at them and don't know. i'm ignorant about effects.

2. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    come on guys i could use some help.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Thing is, your question was a bit vague, hard to answer. If you want a Magicstomp, they are all over Ebay all the time. If you want something "like the Magicstomp", well the Magicstomp had a zillion features. What exactly do you want it to do? Are you looking for amp modeling? Are you looking for distortions and overdrives? Are you looking for more exotic effects? Do you want presets and/or programmability? Do you want simplicity, ease of use?

As far as being ignorant about fx, that's fine, we were all there once. First thing you should do in that case is read the FAQ. Any time you are in a forum where you don't know a lot about it, read the FAQ. If there are any questions you think of that aren't answered in the FAQ, please do jump back in and ask. If there's something specific about the Magicstomp that you really want, tell us about it. The "multifx that can act like a few separate pedals in some mode" thing is way common, it's just described differently by the different brands.

4. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    I want something to mess around with that has alot of effects and just alot of different things on it so i can learn. but the main thing i'm looking for is somthing that when i'm playing live i can hit one stomp for this effect then the next one for the next effect kinda thing. not have to scroll and find my setting. i have huge feet and scrolling with my feet like with the digitech i was lookin at may be a problem. i wear a size 18 extra wide. if this is common then i'm sorry for the trouble.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, if you don't like scrolling then you'll hate the Magicstomp. It has a tiny screen and every feature is buried in a menu. Somebody who is patient and programming-savvy can set it up to work well stomping right from one desired effect to the next, but for anyone who is not comfortable with the programming, fuggettaboutit.

Try a Boss or Zoom multi.

6. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'd suggest the Zoom B2 if you don't need the UBS output/mini expression pedal of the next version up... for a multi it has a lot of pretty good sounds in it (as with all multi's some are not too hot just ok), plus not too hard to program a new patch if you need, can be used for practice with headphones straight out and also has a drum sample with patches that you can tap tempo to change,... not quite like the real thing but good for learning to stay on the beat / jams over a drummer... edit: the only thing that annoys me is you have to press both footswitches at the same time to get to bypass/tuner,... im either just too uncoordinated or too used to having my pedalboard with dedicated tuner!

7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    sounds to me like your best bet is separate pedals...

8. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    don't mind scrolling to program so much as scrolling in the middle of a concert cause that can take forever i'm told and even if it doesn't i'd have to get down to the floor and do it with my hand. as i've mentioned before i'm a big guy 6'8 280 easily and size 18 so the little one like the digitech isn't what i want anymore. but the zoom looks cool and i'm thinkin of steppin up to the b2.1u with expression pedal cause.... well cause i just want to play around with one of those to. thanks guys.

9. bigbassman8342

bigbassman8342

Apr 4, 2009
    yeah well i'm in college and don't have time for a job. barely can keep my schedule clear on friday to start our road trips. so alot of money isn't an option all though i do sell all my books back at the end of the year should have about 300 or so then maybe i could start a quality collection then.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Zoom B2 is pretty badass for the money. I think it would be just fine for now.