1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anything out there close to the Roscoe Beck bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, May 7, 2017.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Hey guys,

I've always been a fan of versatile instruments. I like playing lots of different genres, from jazz and funk to rock and reggae. That being said, I think I've decided that I prefer passive basses to active ones, so I've been doing some research into lots of different passive basses to find the most versatile bass out there. That's when I came across the Roscoe Beck bass.

Lots of people say that it's probably the best and most versatile bass that Fender has put out. The problem is that it seems like it's been out of production for a while, and used ones are expensive and hard to come by. That made me wonder if there were any other basses out there that could give me the same kind of versatility the RBIV offers. Is there anything else out there that matches this bass? Should I just bide my time until one shows up on Craigslist? Or should I save my pennies and look for a custom shop to make something similar (least favorite option because I won't be able to try it first)?

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I know it's active, but a G&L L2000 would certainly be a good candidate for you.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, the L-2000 is a similar idea, especially if you order the "K-wiring" option that provides a single coil mode. The MFD pickups are a different vibe though.

You could also get some "double J" pickups like these Nordstrands to create something like a Roscoe Beck out of another bass: dual coils - Nordstrand Pickups It would be pretty cool to install these into a regular J-bass.

I almost bought a Roscoe Beck about 12 years ago, and often wish I had. They are fantastic basses.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    No, there really is nothing out there like the RB. They come up for sale on here periodically, there seems to be a fair amount of them recently. I still can't believe I sold mine...

6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    They never made a lefty RB. :(

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
  8. The original Roscoe Beck was/is this:
    Slant 4
    Available in 4,5, 6-string models.
    If you want to save your pennies for one, you'll get an unbelievably well-made & hand-made instrument by Michael Stevens, who is one of the World's finest luthiers and original builder for FCS. slant-4-872432-150x150.
    There's a pic of my Shoreline Gold Slant 4, two years for delivery and well worth the wait.

9. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    Maruszczyk would build you something exactly like this with full control about colour, pickups, electronics and even neck profile... ...at a very reasonable price...

10. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    They can be active, but work just fine in passive mode too.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yep. When I was looking for a Fender-shaped headstock some years ago GC had two used like-new Rosco Beck basses. One of them was wonderful, the other (different only in paint color) was a dog. Stupid me, hemmed and hawed over buying (which was only about $600) and came to my senses overnight. I sped back to be there when the doors opened the next day and ...Ya snooze ya lose! Already gone in just a couple hours before the store closed. Phooey. So I ended up with a MIM Jazz V. Fast forward to a couple of days ago. I'm at the same GC and in the "high end" room are TWO more very well worn Roscoe Beck 5ers. Only TWICE the price they were a few years ago. So I'm thinking maybe I need to upgrade my MIM to a brand new Roscoe Beck...which is when I find out like EVERY COOL THING that Fender ever came up with, they discontinued it. Stupid, stupid Fender. So it looks like I'll be staying with my tried and true G&Ls for now.