Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything out there like this.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sean_w_mcgrath, Aug 30, 2005.

1. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

2. Maybe Effector 13´s truly beautiful disaster? Our guitar player uses TBD and he has some kind of sounds with guitar... TBD should work with bass too, I guess

3. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    The Prunes & Custard pedal by Crowther Audio is the closest I can think of. It's a distortion with a touch sensitive filter thing going on. The Dirty Bird sounds a bit more extreme, but the P&C definitely cops some of those sounds.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The Prunes & Custard will not cop that tone, it sounds like an 8 bit fuzz going into a filter and on some an auto wah, the only fuzz that I've heard that sounds really like that is the MXR Blue Box so that and say the EBS Bass iq would yield alot of those sounds.

Hope this helps

5. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i can get sounds similar to the dirty bird with my alesis bitrman

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whoa - I LIKED a couple of those sounds!

The 'native' fuzz tone (not-including the filter and/or 'chirp') sounds to me somewhat like the Wooly Mammoth - Which I covet greatly.

Joe

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Wow, that's pretty cool. He also makes a nice Brassmaster clone - I think he posts on here from time to time.

8. Hey, cool... those are my pedals. Thanks very much for the nice comments y'all. :cool:

Recently, I've also been getting a few inquiries via email about these (dirty bird & brassmaster) and so I'm considering building a run of these for folks who have expressed interest. Realistically, I might end up being at least a month or so out there before I could have any finished and ready to go, tho. But, if anyone here would be interested, please post or PM me so I can start to get an idea of how far I'm sticking my neck out. I still have to work out pricing, but I'm guessing the brassmaster would be around $200 and the dirty bird would be a little less than that.

Thanks!
    ~ Charlie

9. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    My P&C nails the first four and the seventh of those sound clips and does a pretty good job on clip number five.

10. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Are you using a passive or active bass?

11. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Active, i.e. Modulus Quantum, Musicman Bongo. I just played the P&C against the soundclips with the MM. My experience with a passive bass is the same (Modulus Genesis VJ). The Prunes & Custard doesn't seem to care whether a bass is active or passive like a lot of od/fuzz pedals do.

12. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    To clear up my earlier post, the P&C gets the Dirty Bird tone in clips 1 through 4 and number 7. With some tweeking, you could probably get close to some of the other clips for the Dirty Bird, but you'd be pushing your luck. The Dirty Bird does have more sounds in it and more extreme sounds in it.

Charlie did a great job with the Dirty Bird, it sounds great, as do the others. Definitely let us know if you decide on a production run.

13. Thanks, Chris!

I LOVE my P&C! That is one wicked cool pedal! Anyone who thinks there's the slightest chance that they might want one should just go buy one, now... right now... stop reading... go do it... now! :D

I will say this... AFAIK, the only similarity between the P&C and the DB is that they both fall into the realm of envelope driven effects. To my ears, the P&C has a smoother sound, and the blend feature is great. The DB can make more sputtery, stuttery, gated splat type sweeps, and might have a wider range of sounds. Like Chris said, I think the P&C can sound similar to some of the DB's sounds (and visa versa, too). But, I wouldn't go so far to say the P&C 'nails' those DB sounds. Both pedals really do have their own unique sonic signatures. But, anyway...

My production run is definately going to happen. I just have a little prep work to finish up, then I'll probably start a new thread to let folks know about it, share the details and keep things straight.

I hope this is not coming across as being spam-like. Technically, I guess this kind of stuff might belong in the Classifieds. But, at the moment, I'm thinking this might just be a one-time thing for me (time will tell...). Plus, the majority of folks who might be interested are probably (like me :cool: ) spending more time over here in the Effects Forum, and might miss out if I were to only post over in the Classifieds. But, if the moderators disagree, I'm sure they'll chime in and straighten me out (thanks, guys!). :cool:

Thanks!
    ~ Charlie