1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anything similar to 2011 Squire VM Jaguar HUMBUCKER?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lloganbracee, Apr 17, 2018.

1. lloganbracee

lloganbracee

Sep 9, 2017
    In 2011 Squire had two different models of long scale VM Jaguar basses they sold. First was the PJ pickup model that is still in production & selling well today, then was the humbucker model, which was discontinued after just one year of production.

Now, those models are all but unavailable. I’m wondering if there are any other pickups (they’re EMG35 housing) that sound similarly hot & bitey?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I bought an unloaded body from Stratosphere, and built it up with an EMG 35 CS-X. Absolutely fantastic tone! Loads of booty and crisp highs.

I never play it, because I discovered I really dislike instruments with asymmetrical lower bouts.

What is your question exactly? Other 35-sized pickups? Or getting a similar tone from the P-J model?

3. lloganbracee

lloganbracee

Sep 9, 2017
    The question really is this: Which pickups sound similar to the Seymour Duncan designed humbucker loaded in the Squire VM Jag Bass Special HB?

I’d prefer it be in EMG35 housing, but if it isn’t I’d have to settle for whatever else I can find. The EMG 35 CS-X is designed to sound like a Music Man Stingray, yes?

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Not quite. The DC (and DC-X) were designed to mimic a Stingray, albeit with more “teeth”. The CS (and CS-X) are a warmer version of the DC, but still with plenty of zing.

Other great options would be Delano SBC, or Lace BassBar. Other folk will come along and recommend Bartolini, Nordstrand, Aguilar, Seymour Duncan, and others. Then there are boutique builders who will make whatever you want. Jerry Sentell has some really interesting choices in the 35 shape.

Lots and lots of options!

5. lloganbracee

lloganbracee

Sep 9, 2017
    After doing a lot of searching, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Seymour Duncan Blackout Bass Soapbar ASB-BO-4 is probably closest to the VM Jaguar. That was what I originally assumed — the VM Jag’s electronics were indeed designed by SD — but I wanted to see what others had to say. Thanks for the response.

Now I’m interested in owning a bass with the CS-X, too.

ctmullins likes this.