1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anything special about Peavey T40 pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blacktocomm, Apr 16, 2018.

1. blacktocomm

blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    Maryland
    Just curious if the pots in a T40 could be replaced with some run of the mill cts pots and still retain the ability to go from humbucker to single coil as the originals do. Inquiring minds want to know...

2. The pots don't perform that switching function.

blacktocomm likes this.
  3. blacktocomm

blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks.

4. They are really heavy.

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    @blacktocomm .......There is no switch on a stock T-40 for SC to HB. The tone pots blend from SC to HB. When on 10 the pickup is in single coil and the pot gradually blends in the other coil for full series humbucking around 7. The tone pots are special "S" taper....250KS. Kind of a blend of linear from 10 to 7 and audio after that. A 250KA pot will work but the amount of movement to blend from SC to HB will be weird for anyone used to the 250KS.

The volume pots are normal 250KA and both volume and tone were made by CTS.

blacktocomm likes this.
  6. I misread the wiring diagram. This is correct.

mech likes this.
  7. blacktocomm

blacktocomm

Feb 19, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info! I assumed something was different about the tone pots, but being somewhat electronics ignorant I wasn't sure. Good to know.

mech likes this.