Anything that sounds like a moogerfooger lowpass for less bl$ng?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 29, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    If i had the cash, i'd get a Moogerfooger Low-Pass Filter. That is THE envelope filter sound that i want. but, at 250+ , i just can't justify it. is there anything that sounds similar (especially if i can control the same kinds of things i can with the MF) at a lower price (preferably around 100?)

i just tried a Q-tron and didn't like it so much, and the line6 fm4 has lots of neat sounds but not THE sound. What about that digitech bass synth wah?

the thing that really gets my butter churning about the MF is that resonant tone on top, and the ability to dial it out or make it super spacy. the q-trons little 'woop' didn't sound as cool to my ears.

or...any multi effect pedals that have both a decent moogerfooger-ish envelope filter and a whammy/harmony setting?
  2. $250 is actually a fairly average price for most really good analog filters. You will pay that much for a vintage 'Tron III for example. Cheaper boxes will just not come as close to that wet, squelchy liquid envelope tone. Buy a cheap knock off and somewhere down the line you may find yourself shelling out the cash for the "real thing" anyways. Save yourself the hassle and buy the good one now.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i just don't think i'd use it that often to justify spending 250 on an effect.

so...even if it might not be perfect, is there anything that sounds similar for under $100?
  4. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I use a Mini Qtron, and it suits my needs for a LP filter. No, it does not sound like a Mooger, but its only $99 bucks. Not too many otions as far as settings, but it really responds well to plucking dynamics. Here's an MP3 with my MIM Jazz, a little over drive from a SansAmp, and the Mini Qtron.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Aren't there any stores near you?

Every pedal line (Boss, DOD, EH, etc.) has an envelope filter, go to the store and try 'em out.

Find the one you like then see if you can save some $$$ with a used one.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there are, and almost every one of the cheaper ones just sound like you're moving a wah pedal forward with each note - it doesn't have that little...i don't know what to call it...whistle??? on top of the note.

does the DOD FX25 have that?

i may try to find an AF-9: according to peoples reviews they seem to do what i want it to do, and are significantly cheaper than the moogerfooger...