Anything wrong with Sunn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zirc, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I like the Sunn 2x15 cab, especially it's price. I was just wondering if there's anything bad about Sunn cabs (the low 400 dollar price makes me wonder). I actually spoke to a guy who works at a music store and he said they make pretty good cabs, they just aren't popular.

I dunno, look forward to hearing your comments.
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know what Sunn is like, now that Fender owns the company, but I played through an old Sunn Beta 100wt for a couple of years. (It was my old man's, he would have let me keep using it, but I had to buy another amp when I started playing in a band cause the Sunn wouldn't fit in my car :( ) Anyways, I like it a lot. Only problem is, sometimes it's hard to get a lot of low end out of it. It has a very punchy sound. Great for a fretless bass.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i played a 300t with a 4x10 in a music store a few weeks ago, and while i didn't have time to dial in a tone i liked, the thing damn near took my face off volume wise. i'm sure with all the tonal control that thing has it would only be a matter of spending some time with it.

4. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a Sunn 6x12, and except for the fact that it's <scottish voice>FRICKIN 'UGE</scottish voice>, I love it. It's got a great wedge configuration on the speakers that just booms the sound forward and nice solid construction. IMHO a great cabinet.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I have a Sunn 2x15 cab, and I must say my experiences are the exact opposite of LiquidMidnight's. While I CAN get a punchy sound out of it, it appears to me that the tone is MUCH more bassy than punchy. I love the cab, however my only complaint, as I've said before, is the lack of high-end output from it. I used a Fender BXR-60 (1x12) before, and I learned to love punch and high's from now, with the 2x15's I'm not getting quite the punch from it that I was out of the 1x12. So, I plan on adding a 2x10 as soon as the fund-age rolls in:D
  6. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    hey hunter585 -

musician's friend has a closeout on a bullfrog alumabass 2x10t right now - 199.99. that'd be a really affordable way to add some 10's. it's a 4 ohm cab though. i ordered one - i'll give a report when i get it.
  7. I,too,wondered about the Sunn line of products.Was looking at their 4x10 online and the price seemed a little bit toooo good.Made me wonder.I guess back in the good old days i.e. pre-Fender,they made really quality heads,etc. Wonder what they rate these days?
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    i played the Sunn 2x15 in Sam Ash one day with a Hartke 2x10 and a Peavey Firebass and Nitrobass head. The 2x15 was bassy, but it was very muddy and my ears hurt after awhile. I don't know if it was the cab or if it was just the fact that 15s are muddy? I'm a totally clueness because I've never tried a good-quality 15 or 18, like an SWR, Eden, or Bag End. I should try em out cuz I might add a 15 or 18, or a pair of em, to my Goliath because it might improve sound a bit.