Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything wrong with Sunn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zirc, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I like the Sunn 2x15 cab, especially it's price. I was just wondering if there's anything bad about Sunn cabs (the low 400 dollar price makes me wonder). I actually spoke to a guy who works at a music store and he said they make pretty good cabs, they just aren't popular.

I dunno, look forward to hearing your comments.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know what Sunn is like, now that Fender owns the company, but I played through an old Sunn Beta 100wt for a couple of years. (It was my old man's, he would have let me keep using it, but I had to buy another amp when I started playing in a band cause the Sunn wouldn't fit in my car :( ) Anyways, I like it a lot. Only problem is, sometimes it's hard to get a lot of low end out of it. It has a very punchy sound. Great for a fretless bass.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i played a 300t with a 4x10 in a music store a few weeks ago, and while i didn't have time to dial in a tone i liked, the thing damn near took my face off volume wise. i'm sure with all the tonal control that thing has it would only be a matter of spending some time with it.

jason

4. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a Sunn 6x12, and except for the fact that it's <scottish voice>FRICKIN 'UGE</scottish voice>, I love it. It's got a great wedge configuration on the speakers that just booms the sound forward and nice solid construction. IMHO a great cabinet.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have a Sunn 2x15 cab, and I must say my experiences are the exact opposite of LiquidMidnight's. While I CAN get a punchy sound out of it, it appears to me that the tone is MUCH more bassy than punchy. I love the cab, however my only complaint, as I've said before, is the lack of high-end output from it. I used a Fender BXR-60 (1x12) before, and I learned to love punch and high's from it...so now, with the 2x15's I'm not getting quite the punch from it that I was out of the 1x12. So, I plan on adding a 2x10 as soon as the fund-age rolls in:D

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    hey hunter585 -

musician's friend has a closeout on a bullfrog alumabass 2x10t right now - 199.99. that'd be a really affordable way to add some 10's. it's a 4 ohm cab though. i ordered one - i'll give a report when i get it.

7. I,too,wondered about the Sunn line of products.Was looking at their 4x10 online and the price seemed a little bit toooo good.Made me wonder.I guess back in the good old days i.e. pre-Fender,they made really quality heads,etc. Wonder what they rate these days?

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    i played the Sunn 2x15 in Sam Ash one day with a Hartke 2x10 and a Peavey Firebass and Nitrobass head. The 2x15 was bassy, but it was very muddy and my ears hurt after awhile. I don't know if it was the cab or if it was just the fact that 15s are muddy? I'm a totally clueness because I've never tried a good-quality 15 or 18, like an SWR, Eden, or Bag End. I should try em out cuz I might add a 15 or 18, or a pair of em, to my Goliath because it might improve sound a bit.