Anything "wrong" with that Musicman Stingray Classic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirkP, Mar 30, 2014.

1. I just bought this used Musicman Stingray Classic. It is supposed to be from 2009. I love it so far, but I'm puzzled about some details that don't seem to fit the Classic Series.

It has a plastic battery compartment - In all reviews I've read so far, it says that the classic-series has a chrome cover for the battery. It doesn't look as if it was installed post-factory. I prefer it to the chrome one for practical reasons, but I'm just puzzled to find it on a classic series SR.

It has a kind of satin finished maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. All reviews I've read so far state that it has a high gloss polyester neck finish. And the neck has a "natural aged yellow finish", mine doesn't look aged.

All other details - I'm more a Fender guy and not so used to Stingrays - seem to fit the Classic Series.

The 2-EQ electronics, the strings-through-body bridge, the string mutes at the bridge.
    I'm not sure about the logo: is this the "vintage" logo, the classic series has or is it the common logo on all newer Musicman instruments?

And it is definitive a rather new instrument. It looks as if it was bought new from a shop just yesterday.

Here are some pictures:

ub2q9ych.jpg

9wol7pgd.jpg

k8khjwik.jpg

mvjftljb.jpg

Hello from Germany,
    Dirk

2. T Bassman

T Bassman

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Appears to be a 'Classic' body at least, but the neck is a regular Stingray series by the looks of it. Perhaps somebody used the original neck for another project?

3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    As I recall Guitar Center were selling these special run classics, it was a long time ago but the MM experts will chime in I'm sure

4. Thanx a lot for the replies so far. But AFAIK this bass was bought in Austria and this special run sold by Guitar Center in 2010 had the chrome battery compartment.
    Were there more special runs?
    Dirk

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Logo on the headstock looks exactly like my SR Classic. I believe the regular Sting Rays have a different one.

6. You seem to be right. Since 1989 or so the word "bass" is gone.

http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/town8019/mycustompage0008.htm

But it's there on mine.
    So far it really seems to be exactly like the special run for GC in 2010. Remains the question of the battery compartment???

Thanks so much for your replies so far...
    I've chequed the forum and the internet before but didn't find anything.

Dirk

7. stoo

stoo

Nov 10, 2003
    I thought the Classics didn't have the compensated nut either? :confused:

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Ditto.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    They don't.

I haven't followed the Classic series at all, but that neck is not the "standard" classic series neck.

10. What I found out so far is that Musicman at first planned to offer the Classic Series in two different versions: An LE Version with the same neck as the standard stingrays and a kind of Deluxe version with the laquered and aged neck. When they later decided to just offer the "deluxe" version, GC offered the classics with the standard necks at a lower price as a special run.
    Remains the question of the battery compartment.
    I have no reason whatsoever to distrust the seller in any way, but I was a bit surprised 'cause it has this uncommon features and didn't come in an original Musicman case.
    As I mentioned before, I had no experience with Musicman basses before, but from my experience with a lot of different Fender and G&L and Yamaha basses I would describe the neck as broad and unusual flat.
    Dirk

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    From what I remember about those GC Classics, is that GC got that shipment of 'normal neck' Classics just a little before EB released the Classic we know now and started shipping the to everyone else.
    I don't recall EB announcing anything about offering a standard and deluxe back then.

12. I did just found that message in another forum, dating Feb 2, 2010:

"Just bought one last night at GC in Dallas. They had a "standard classic" and a "classic deluxe", both in green. The difference between the 2 ( besides price! ) was striking. I assume that they are identical except for the necks. The standard has a rosewood fretboard, and was brighter than the maple neck on the deluxe, quite surprising. I loved them both, wound up with the deluxe. Also, the standard was noticeably heavier than the other....not sure if it was the neck, or different density of the bodies. Workmanship on both was very good.

I have never owned a MM and was interested in adding a different sound to my pallette. Am curious about the pickups; are these the same as current stingray 4's? The tone is boost only, what are the centers and amount of boost? Is this a new circuit or rediesign of a classic? Bet someone here can answer.

BTW, the standard had a compensated nut, the deluxe a very thin standard nut."

That led me to the conclusion. I didn't imply that EB ever announced to offer a standard and a deluxe version, I implied that they maybe thought about it and kind of released those as a "feeler".

Now let's get back to the real serious issues the world in general and the bass world in particular evolves around: the battery compartment on my bass:)

Dirk

13. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I've no idea about the battery compartment, but that's one hell of a nice looking bass.

14. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Have you been over to the EBMM bass forum? They will know for sure, and Sterling Ball himself participates regularly on the forum.

I had the "classic" Classic with tinted poly neck (beautiful instruments, btw). I have never seen or heard of the "classic" that you have or any special run of a hybrid classic through Guitar Center, but I wouldn't doubt it. The EBMM forum guy's will set you straight.

15. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Australia
    It's one of the very first Classic Ray's which did have an unfinished neck, compensated nut and the plastic battery box. It was announced towards the end of 2009. A new logo was added and different to the normal Ray. I can post pics if need.

Dirk's Bass would be relatively rare.

Then, still in 2009, the Deluxe Classic with finished 7.5 radius neck, skinny frets, non-compensated nut, chrome truss wheel and figured wood choices followed. An even newer logo was also added with gold lettering.

Today, all Classic Ray features are the same.

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Go to the EBMM forum and there's lots of info there. You can send your serial# to EBMM and they'll tell you all about the bass. You can post a pic of it there and they will tell you if it's legit or not.

http://forums.ernieball.com/forum.php

17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    sweet bass ! Limited run = cool . 2 band EQ right . bet it sounds amazing .

18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    IMO, I'd be happy to have the plastic battery door and the compensated nut.

19. IIRC there was a thread started by Sterling Ball called something like Classic Stingray Torture Thread on the Musicman forum. This thread documented the development of the classic series Stingrays with occasional pictures of pre production basses appearing, and I seem to recall some of the features developed seemingly in response to groups of requests from forum members (eg. the chrome battery cover). They announced on this thread the two levels of neck treatment and only some of the very first ones built had the satin neck etc. there were also colours which never made it to full production notably shell pink of which a very small number were produced (10 ish?). The pastel colours powder blue, coral red and mint green only lasted for less than 12 months production and the forum thread indicated an intention to rotate colours. This has happened to an extent with natural, black and vintage white remaining constant whilst others have come and gone.

Do you have the serial number of your bass (should be on the bridge)? It should be in the B050xxx series.

20. Thanks so much for your support here.
    Wow, I got a rarity!
    I love it. After nearly 30 years of playing it's the first bass I got that despite a rather low action has no fretbuzz at all. On all Fender basses so far, I had to compromise. Even the highest frets are playable.
    One of my main basses since 20 years is a G&L L2000. I have a love and hate relationship with it. It's a wonderfull instrument and unlike others I don't think the electronics are to complicated. But soundwise the musicman makes more sense to me as a complement to my 78 Jazzbass, which so far is my main instrument.

Dirk

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021