anything you can tell me about carvin basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 5, 2003.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been reading so many mixed reviews and i would like the wisdom of you all out their in helping me make the decision to go ahead and have one built. I have would want to go with LB75P walnut and 5 pice maple neck,black hardware,strap locks,tung oil finish.wider neck,special tross rod cover. Thank you for your help.:)
  2. That sounds like a badass bass, I want the exact same one (roughly), buy it:bassist: :bassist: :D
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've never personally owned one, but I have heard time and time again from Carvin owners that they end up changing out the electronics. If you are having a custom one made, you may want to consider going straight to someone elses pickups and preamp.
  4. Sounds like a sweet bass, but be sure to ponder all of the options the 35" scale or wide space might be a consideration. I have been using Carvin basses for a long time now and think that Carvin delivers a hi quality bass especially for the money. Their electronics and pickups are of good quality and have their own sound, you migh change the pickups and electronics you might not. AFIK they do not sell their basses with other electronics.
  5. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I have two Carvin B5's and the pickups and electronics are great! There is alot of room for different tones if you take the time to experiment. Key word being experiment! Just don't run out and slap something in because everyone says so!

I see no reason to change......I think Carvin got a bad rep from years ago. But I think their electronics today are just as good as most out there. Heck, they even stack up good against my Alembic's electronics!
  6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I love mine. but you already know that. I say do it. As Alembicfive said, take the time to experiment with the elecronics. Also, go to carvins website, and look up the "jamroom" they have sound samples up there, so you can see what they basses sound like. I compared my bass to their samples and the sound is accurate, though my tone is a little different due to the woods. ( i have walnut wings and a maple/walnut neck) If you find the sounds pleasing on the website than youll most likely like them through an amp.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've heard that too, but I bought a B5 fretless last year, and the pickups and electronics sound great. I think the older, 2 band EQ preamps weren't very good, and that is where they got the bad reputation, but the newer 3 band electronics are very good. I have two basses with Bartolini preamps, and IMO the Carvin are of equal quality (they do sound different than the Barts, but not in a bad way). I think Carvin makes excellent basses for the price. Of course YMMV....
  8. I have 2. I like them. They're a lot of "bang for the buck".

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

my bass would look just like srsiegel, except mine would be fretted. maybe he will post some pics for you all to see.:)