Anyway to catch fish without hooks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryann, Apr 29, 2012.

1. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    thats why they call it "fishing" and not.........er, um " catching "

2. It actually doesn't hurt that much, dont worry!

When i was around 10 i was fishing alone about a mile from my house and one way or another i managed to hook myself in the nose when i threw my line!
    The hook went straight in my nostril and only the tip was coming out like some weird piercing...
    I walked home, my mom saw me and freaked out but i couldn't really feel anything...
    My dad cut the tip with the barb and it went out easily!

What you could do if you don't want to risk damaging the fish is use barb less hooks.
    More chance of loosing your catch but less chance of damaging the fish's mouth.

3. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I beg to differ. I had a different experience. When I was 5 a fish hook went into the arch of my foot. The barbed end was stuck in there pretty good and did not go clear through as in your case of the nostril. Of course, I was 5 at the time and it put a real damper on my day. YMMV.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Fish. Hooks. Hurt.
    theres-something-about-mary-2.jpg

Try this for more humane, in the moment fun:
    hillbilly-handfishin-8.jpg
    Just stick your hand in a hole and pull out a fish. If these mehtaahds can do it, surely you can.

5. Bryann

Bryann

Apr 28, 2012
    Awww that sounds very very painful.. but the image it brings to my mind is hilarious! Ah yes barbless hooks I forgot about them.. guess im going to try them.thanks!

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    When I get tiered of them pesty hooks I like to use Chery Bombs or M-80's. For big fish you just can not beat a stick of dynamite. Works every time...

7. Bryann

Bryann

Apr 28, 2012
    Unfortunately I live in Singapore where even airsoft guns and bubblegum is illegal. Weed gives u the death penalty. So dynamite definitely not =(.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The problem usually occurs when removing a hook. Unless you hook it perfectly (i.e. right at the edge of the lip), it can be difficult to impossible to remove the hook without injuring the fish. Fish tend to swallow baits and that's when gut hooking occurs so it's best to avoid still fishing. Barbless fly fishing is your best bet to minimize fish injury. Anyone who's done it knows that the fish will OFTEN unhook itself. :eyebrow:

9. Sounds like fishing's not for you. Find another hobby. Photography doesn't usually involve bullets or hooks. :D

10. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Perhaps underwater fish photography?

If you're really hung up on fish, you ought to give this a listen.

11. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    Illegal bubblegum? Wow. Fishing should be the least of your concerns.

12. Electricity is your friend.

13. It was honestly not that painful! It was just a pinch going in and once it was there i think i was to shocked at the idea that i had just fished myself to be in actual pain!

My mother did freak out pretty madly though, my dad was laughing his butt of...

Getting a hook in a foot or finger is a different deal, as you have to push it in in a circular motion until the barbed tip comes out to cut it off! That hurts like hell...
    My nose was just straight through, just like a fish mouth!

14. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    not saying i do it, but a lot of people here in the midwest like noodling or simply put bare hand fishing. i wouldnt stick my hand into a hole i couldnt see underwater myself, but whatever floats your boat.

15. Firstly, if you are using a hook, it's incumbant that you, the fisherman, ensure that you are attentive to your rod and don't allow the fish to swallow the hook.
    Fish simply don't have the number of nerve cells in their mouth for them to feel the pain of a hook... if they did, they would all starve to death as the food that they eat (other fish) all have spiny dorsal fins and gill plates. If they have sensitive feeling in their mouths, eating would cause them severe pain.
    If you are worried that you will harm the fish, find a fish monger and buy some.
    Fishheadjoe

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
  17. Cast net fishing?

To quote and underrated Disney movie:

"I hate fishing. I hate fish. Hate the taste, hate the smell, hate all them little bones." (Atlantis: The Lost Empire)

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I cant believe it took almost 40 posts before someone suggested using a net...