Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyway to fix graphite?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mike Money, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have this tendency to get little chips on my graphite neck... is there anyway to fix them? they aren't a real problem, but they do hurt resale value a lot...

anything or anyone i can send it to?

2. On the finish, or out of the neck itself? Or are they off the fingerboard?

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I think its one bits out of the finish.

4. I'm surprised that finish would be flaking like that. Take it back to the dealer--Peavey should give you a new neck.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    they are out of production... and its my fault... well, other peoples.... but the hits it takes are pretty hard. like tonight, it fell onto my guitar, and hit a switch in it... bleh. i shouldnt be entrusted with these things.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved...

7. Yes, there IS a way. In fact there are two. It's gonna depend on how permanent a fix you want. The first and least permanent way is to fill your chips with clear Nitro lacquer. What?, you don't have a jug of the stuff laying around like all of us? :) Well just use clear fingernail polish. Get the nitro type not the polyester type. Read the label. It will take several applications to finally fill the deeper chips but after it's cured (you can't smell the lacquer anymore) you can lightly wet sand the spot smooth. Then I would use a french polish technique to make the dull spots blend with the glossy undamaged areas.

The second method is very similiar but uses CA glue (superglue) instead. Using the water clear glue, you can carefully put drops of the glue into the dings. This will take more apps than the lacquer method because CA cures out with a lot less mass than when it was wet. After they are filled, sand in the same manner as above and finish with a french polish for looks.

BTW, "french polishing" in this case is using shellac and mineral oil to fill and buff the sanding marks left from the wet sand. This is the cheap french polish method but it works. Taking a soft paper towel and using it wrapped around your finger, dip the towel in the shellac then quickly into a little mineral oil. Rub this into the finish over the repair and then let dry. It shouldn't take too long - probably a couple of hours at the most. You should wind up with hardly noticeable spots along your neck. If you want you can even re-apply the polish once the first app is cured if it isn't blended well enough.

Hope this helps.