Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyway to make a 4 ohm cab into 8 ohm cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Feb 17, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    They sent my speakers out after i asked them to wait and give me the speakers so i will have an 8 ohm cab. oh well they are already in the mail. So i was wondering if there is any way to wire or something that makes it 8 ohms instead of 4 ohms.

thanks

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Nope. Maybe one of the experts will correct me, but speakers are what establishes your resistance. You can use multiple cabs with different wiring configurations (2 4 ohm cabs in series will pull 8ohm I THINK).

But you can't add resistance to a cab without changing the speakers.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Generally speaking the answer is no, especially if it's a single speaker inside the cab. If ther are multiple drivers, different wiring configurations yield different nominal impedance, but even then the chances of arriving at 8 ohms is pretty slim.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... I asked that too, many moons ago. Your stuck, buddy.... sorry. I hope the next month goes by quickly for you, though :meh:

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    well they are sending me out my 8 ohms, because they didnt get my email before they sent them out. So i wont get the 16 ohms speakers. Im thinking about sending them back once i get them. maybe. maybe not.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Send em back. Stick to the real plan. You dont wanna be stuck with just a 210 forever dude

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Who's they?

What kind of speakers?

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i say send them back-eat the shipping if you have to. :meh:
    in the long run you'll vbe happier with the 8 ohm cabinet.

9. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    wait what about wiring them in parallel or series??? just wondering

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    2 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel will result in a net impedance of 4 ohms. wiring those same speakers in series will result in a 16 ohm cabinet. not very usefull. :meh:

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    orskard...are you signed up to sell on eBay? You could probably sell them for what you paid or maybe a little bit more.

Or sell them here on TalkBass...

12. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yah im gunna talk to the avatar folks first.