AO 50’s P Neck Gap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punchdrunk, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Well, I finally caved and ordered an Aztec Gold AO 50’s P… the thing sounds and feels fantastic; however it has a neck gap (on both sides) that rivals my 77 P. Has anyone else experienced a gap with this model?
    B917F1A1-6951-4B60-B8F2-8910476D3649.jpeg 83E354F4-2324-42F3-9C1E-F1D029E1F886.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    DJ Bebop and Shawn Luckman like this.
  2. I don't have the AO, but I once owned a '57 AVRI (An AO predecessor) that had the same thing.

DJ Bebop and punchdrunk like this.
  3. Yes but with my 2014 Am.Std Precision that I bought new, should have sent it back but i felt & sounded nice. It would be nice for Fender to explain how they manage to do this on, basses that cost $1000+ and why they feel justified in letting them leave the factory.

Kubicki Fan, DJ Bebop and punchdrunk like this.
  4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Nice close-up photo shots! Perhaps, the macro photos are making it look worse than it is. I used to have a 2015 AVRI '58 blond. Zero gap. If it helps any, most pre-CBS Fender Basses had some degree of gaps. At least the few that I have seen.

I have reduced gaps by using thick art paper glued to the sides of the cavity, cut to size. But, you have that gold color (metallic?) so, I don't know if you can match that up with some kind of paper for reducing the gap on both sides.

Looks like the gap is worse on the E side.

Depending on how your strings line up on the side of the neck. Is the E string closer or wider to the edge than the G? Sometimes the neck can be shifted to the side where the gaps is worse. Ever so slightly loosen the 4 neck screws and pull the neck to one side and then tighten it down.

You could return the bass. Or, as you already know, live with it.

Bummer.

MAXSPINRUN, DJ Bebop and punchdrunk like this.
  5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If you shift the neck to the E side..............it looks like the pickguard is flush against the neck. If you do try to shift the neck, you might have to loosen the pickguard screws first or it might not move.

MAXSPINRUN and punchdrunk like this.
  6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That is very typical of Fender. Even real 60's basses have that.
    Does the neck move?

7. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    That’s standard. No concern. At least to me. Ive had basses with tighter neck pockets and the only thing different is that it will eventually result in chipped or cracked finish at the joint.

kodiakblair, Picton, JMarkD and 12 others like this.
  8. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    If you had bought a Squier, you wouldn't have this issue. All the Squiers I have AND had, all have tight necks in neck pockets! :)

9. No movement, thankfully… but honestly the loose tolerance on a 2k bass is a bit of an eyebrow raiser to me. As much as I like this bass, I can’t unsee the imperfections so it’s going back.

10. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My 60s american original was PERFECT. I'd send that back immediately. The longer you wait to send it back, the longer you have to wait for the new bass you deserver to have and paid for.

punchdrunk likes this.
  11. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    maybe so, however, if you have the chance now to get one without it at no cost to you, why wouldn't you? Why settle?

punchdrunk likes this.
  12. Well put.

13. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I picked up a 60’s Sonic Blue Jazz and was surprised IT had a gap on the E side. It’s rock solid and I love the bass, but it does catch my attention when I look at it. I need to try and shift the neck I guess. It’s pretty tight on the G side, so maybe I can make things tighter.

On a side note, I love the Aztec Gold color. I see a project bass with that body and an AO Jazz neck someday.

Can you post a pic of the whole bass? I’d like to see it in normal lighting.

punchdrunk likes this.
  14. I certainly will once I get home this evening. It’s a lovely color to be sure. Was hoping to get to wield it during our New Years gig. Hopefully I’ll find the right one before then.

15. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Im not suggesting settling or not returning. I am saying that sort of gap is basically standard. Perhapd the next one has a different wiggle. Or the same gap plus something else dissatisfying.

Go ahead and exchange it! ;)

Beej, punchdrunk and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    It looks like Fender set their CNC machines to "sloppy" for that true vintage vibe.

It's nothing compared to the off-center truss rod channel in the AO60 P-basses. Or have they sold out that batch by now and fixed it?

lomo, punchdrunk and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    That gap adds an airy quality to the tone. I wouldn’t worry at all.

18. Stop yer whinin'
    image.jpg

:)

ruju, Juice Box and punchdrunk like this.
  19. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I once had a Custom Shop P bass that had a much bigger gap than that. Fortunately I was able to send it back.

punchdrunk and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. I’m thinking that the bodies are very consistent but that some of the unskilled labour are inconsistent with their use of sanding machines on the necks. If you think about it, allowance has to be made for the finish thickness as well. They probably err a bit on the sloppy side of things because too tight a fit is much harder to solve.

Grinderman and 96tbird like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021