Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AOL's Ten Worst Songs Ever

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, May 9, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

AOL is featuring a segment of worst songs ever. It seems kind of funny. For me, these aren't all the worst, but some are. I'll list them, then you folks have many more to add.

1. "Eve of Destruction" Barry McGuire

2. "Honey" Bobby Goldsboro

3. "In the Year 2525" Zager and Evans

4. "My Ding-a-Ling" Chuck Barry

5. "I Am a Woman" Helen Reddy

6. "You're Having My Baby" Paul Anka

7. "Rock Me Amadeus" Falco

8. "When a Man Loves a Woman" Michael Bolton

9. "I'm Too Sexy" Right Said Fred

10. "I'd Do Anything for Love" Meat Loaf

My personal worst would be "Mares Eat Oats, Does Eat Oats and Little Lambs Eat Ivy," a horribly stupid World War II song. Also, a close second is "I Love You, A Bushel and a Peck"...yuck...maddening. Gosh, I almost forgot, Patty Page's sickeningly sweet, "How Much is That Doggy in the Window?"
    Close on the heels of that for maddening is Doris Day's "Que Sera, Sera." Oh yes, I can't omit Peter, Paul and Mary's "Blowing in the Wind."

More recent pet peeves include Madonna's "Like a Virgin" and her "Papa Don't Preach." And I'll throw in anything by Abba, especially "Fernando."

Please feel free to add your most hated songs you love to hate.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ive just recently developed a hate for the song free bird.

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I recently have developed a LOVE for that song! I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but geeze! :D
    (Although I haven't heard it a million times yet...maybe I'll hate it then)

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ahah sorry corn. ive heard it so much! people go crazy over that song too. i dunno its just not my bag.

5. "country grammer" by nelly
    i have devoloped a real distaste for rap

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Extreme Dislike of all that is Limp Biskit...Nookie in particular...yeah, you can stick THIS up your...!

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You mean to tell me that they overlooked the subtle counterpoint and political lyrics of My Dingaling??

8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    In The Year 2525 is an awesome song.

That list is BS!!!

9. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Muskrat Love, The Captain & Tenille

An embarrassment all the way around. Bad song. Bad concept. Saccharine sweet and dumb to boot. Can you imagine the meeting in which this one was proposed? Yowza.

10. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    "Hey Hey My My" by Neil Young. Or, pretty much anything by Neil Young for that matter. He shoulda stayed with Crosby, Stills, and Nash - at least they covered up his whiny irritating voice. Don't get me wrong, some of his lyrics are cool but PLEASE don't let him sing!

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nothing can be worse than "Billy, Don't be a Hero" by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. Ugh.

12. I cant belive nobody posted the song feelings

13. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have a whole cd that may be the worst (and funniest) thing I've ever heard, aside from Linda McCartney's soloed mic on the live version of "Hey Jude". It's called "Golden Throats" and contains such gems as:

"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Mr. Tamborine Man"--"sung" by William Shatner

Try a Little Tenderness--a spoken version by Jack Webb (the Dragnet guy)

It Ain't Me Babe--another moving spoken version by Sebastian Cabot (Mr. French)

"House of the Rising Sun"-- Andy Griffith

And, of course, the coup-de-gras, the deeply touching versions of "If I Had A Hammer" and "Proud Mary" by Leonard Nimoy.

Now these SONGS may not be the worst ever, but these versions will surely bring tears to your ears.

14. MacArthur Park as "sung" by Richard Harris

....Stunningly pointless.

15. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I'm sticking with Muskrat Love.

Those mini Moog effects of the muskrats "talking"? Ouch. It's as if they said, "Hey, this song isn't bad enough even though it's about a marsupial that even Disney couldn't make cute. What else can we do to make it even more insipid?"

As far as the Shatners and Griffiths and all that, that's almost in the so bad it's good category, since they knew they couldn't sing a lick. These other things, though? They were trying for something serious. And failed by a country mile.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly.

Anyone ever hear of Red Sovine? He uses the phrase, "better bring your knife-proof ear muffs" in a song.

17. AH!!! Heathen! Neil Young is my god! One of them anyway, him, Geddy Lee, and probably some others. You're right, he should have stayed with CS&N though, he was the most talented one in the group, and their best g**tarist. Although, personally, I like his Buffalo Springfield years the best.

18. Worst songs ever? ANYTHING with that damnable vocoder effect. Notice how all the mass produced crap has that effect in it these days? Talk about overuse. It's all Cher's fault.

19. "take the money and run" by the steve miller band i think. i can't tell you how much it annoys me when he rhymes "texas" with "what the facts is" not to mention "el paso" with "hassle." :rolleyes:

i like "2525" too, JWC :D

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<font color=red><font size=14>ANYTHING</font></font color> by Captain and Tenille! YUCK! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, 'You light up my life' by Debbie Boone. EEWW!!!

[​IMG]