Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apartment Dwellers...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bleepo, Dec 18, 2004.

1. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    How do you practice? I've decided I want to play DB (after 10 years EBG) and just came across this delimma... I haven't bought my bass yet. I'm still reading all the newb links. I imagine that the endpin would turn my floor into a subwoofer, making that nice man below me hate me more than ever?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how about an Auralex GRAMMA?

3. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    that would be awesome if it works...

I'd much rather learn on a DB, over a EUB... I already have a fretless bass, and the vibe i'm getting is that there is very little difference.

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I live on the third floor of an apartment complex. Unfortunately, your assumption is correct. When I first moved in here and got settled, I practiced on the upright for a couple of days and had lots of banging on the walls and the floor. I spoke to my neighbors to the sides and below and we discussed when they were usually gone (working/out doing stuff in general) and only came up with a couple of days a week I can practice here without making life miserable for the other tennants.

At the suggestion of my teacher, I checked with a community college a couple of blocks down from my place, but there was no music dept. so they didn't have any practicel rooms I could use. I play slab with a pop group that uses a rehearsal space in the next town over, and convinced the producer/manager of the project to get me my own key so I could use the space for my private studies on days when we didn't have rehearsal.

To sum up:

1. Talk to your neighbors. You may be luckier than I and live next to/on top of music enthusiasts who don't mind. This was the case when I was in Denton going to UNT, but not here in yuppieville, USA.

2. If that's no good, check with any nearby schools to see if they have practice rooms available. Being a student at the school definitely helps, but is not always a requisite.

3. If you're in any kind of group that rents out a space, ask if you can use it when the group's not rehearsing.

I'm also interested to see what other suggestions come up here. Ideas, anyone?

5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
  6. You might want to try some door mats, just pile 3 on top of each other that may help. I live on the 4th floor and I have a very noisey neighbor on one side, and a violinist on the other. My downstairs neighbor only complained once.

7. bleepo

bleepo

Feb 6, 2003
    Calgary
    thanx for the ideas guys. My downstairs neighbour isn't the music loving type, unless it's HIS music. I'll find a way. My band does rent a space, but its a 25 minute drive.

Mods, sorry about posting in the wrong section.

8. Whenever I think I might bug people, I use a rubber practice mute and a rock stop. Nobody seems to complain. I'm looking for a new space now and it's the first thing I tell people before I'll even go look at an apartment.

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    How does the rubber practice mute work? I have seen the picture but I cant figure out were you put that thing.

I would think that playing very very soft will improve your speed and your dynamics. So it might be a good thing. Right?

10. If you saw the picture from a different angle, you would know exactly, but.....There are "fingers" that go above and below the bridge between the strings, and the whole thing stops (or absorbs) the vibrations. It does make me tune in a bit more sometimes and thats a good thing. Peace. ASG

11. Here's mine:

12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Go talk to the nice man below you and see what he says. Too many people skip this easy step.

13. Fortunately I have very kind neighbours, and have never had complaints. However, I know people who have.

This may not be entirely realistic for everyones situation, but I think that to some extent you have a right to practice in your apartment at reasonable hours of the day, and other tenants need to deal with it.

To me, this seems a reasonable compromise, considering the fact that you pay rent too? (I could be way off my rocker here...)

My buddy put a piano in his apartment, and then found out he couldnt play it. (poor planning on his end). So he had to get everyones permission in the complex, and then make a schedule, which ended up letting him play the piano for about an hour a day in the middle of the day. This type of situation really irritates me... doesnt really come across as a compromise.

so be considerate, but dont bend over backwards?

<end rant>

14. I have to say I agree with Rimas here. There are noise ordinances (sp?) that protect you and your neighbors. If you are practicing with in legal and reasonable times nobody can stop you. On my end I don't start to practice until 10:00 am and finish by 10:00pm. I take several breaks a day (30 to 60 minutes) and all seems fine.

15. Here in NYC if you can prove you make your living playing music, your good til 10 PM although the volume you can play has not been determined. If your neighbors keep bugging you, it is they who are harrasing you. Trying to get past a coop board is a different thing, some yes, some no. I try to be cool and not bother my neighbors although screaming kids and the stereo all night etc, from other apartments doesn't feel like they share the same concern. As a side note, in addition to the high rent of NYC, most drummers I know have to get a separate place to practice, and then commute to another borough to get there!

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The thing that seems to get to neighbors is sessions/rehearsals more than practicing (except drums of course).

If you search past threads, there's one on apartment practicing that has some solutions for homemade practice booths/ options...

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had to deal with this too. I used to think so, but an EUB isn't a total solution. My Ergo 4 string still transmits alot of vibrations despite the lack of a hollow body through the cymbal-stand contraption it's on. I got a complaint once because of it cuz I was playing in my bedroom and the neighbor next door heard me through the floor (though we're on the same floor). If you do use an EUB, make sure the walls aren't thin and move to the center of your apartment when you play.

Anyhow, I've tried lots of stuff... phonebooks, sandbags, mutes, etc.. For playing the bass, it's gotten the least quiet using a big rubber mute like Wil has, and then stuffing the F-holes with something (I tried a Towel a couple times). Still, this isn't enough to allow me to play after hours. My Apt. building rules is i'm allowed to play 8am-10pm and I limit my time that way. During that time I usually just play normally and skip on any practice mutes. After 10pm, I'm on my keyboard doing transcriptions and training my ears until bedtime. This month I start splitting a rehearsal studio with a friend so I'm good to go.

18. The worst part for me is I have a neighbor that blasts his music so loud that it sounds like it's in here. He doesn't start until 4:30pm so when I'm home in the early part of the day I can practice in peace. The saddest part is I don't feel cool knocking on his door because I don't want him to get on me when I practice. Most days I stay in school a little later and practice there.

19. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I know how you feel. My neighbor below me is pretty much hard of hearing from what I can tell. He blasts his TV every night (like right now) and you can hear it well down the hall on the other side of the building. I was listening to something on my headphones tonight and the music couldn't drown out his TV. The worst is that he loves his techno... ain't nothing worse than bad techno played loud when you don't want to hear it. I think it's one of satan's torture techniques in hell. :(

20. Yeah I think it's Karma for every out of tune note I play.