Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

APB...Where can I get a Fender FMT?...APB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jun 10, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I am looking for a Fender 4 string FMT American Deluxe Jazz Bass Tobacco Burst, Quilted maple top, Rosewood fingerboard.

So far, I have called like 10 places. One has one in stock, a cherry burst flamed maple, rosewood fingerboard. I am tempted to grab this one if I can't find the above one anywhere.

A few stores say it is impossible to spec quilt vs flamed from Fender...i.e., you take what you get. I find this hard to believe...

Does anyone know or have spotted an FMT with the above description?

Thanks in advance!

-pd

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    PD is buying a fender???
    I missed something?

3. Yeah, I was gonna say. I lost my newsfeed a while back...damn.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not sure why, it's not like it's a custom instrument. They have Figured Maple Tops... if they had one with a top that had flame AND quilt... it would need two part numbers;)

There's a Cherry burst 4 at a local GC. I've played it and it didn't do a thing for me. Same store where I got my 5.

5. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Well I finally went and did it...I bought a 4 string FMT American Deluxe Jazz Bass with the aged cherry burst with flamed maple top, rosewood, sight unseen from Musician's Buy. Hopefully the bass will kick ass! Bob at this store was VERY helpful, attentive and really kicked ass.

Although this finish/look wasn't my first choice, it would have been about a two month wait from Fender for the other finish, and as some stores told me there is no way to determine if a bass coming from Fender is quilt or Flame...anyhoo, I don't really have a bass that has the "red vibe" to it, and I already have a few quilted maple basses, so maybe change is good :) I think it is going to look somewhat similar to:

http://sadowsky.com/stock/images/B3679_full.jpg

But Bob at MB said that the flame isn't as prominent (a good thing for me) and the bass is more red to yellow rather than red to natural.

Should have it by Friday...will post pics when I get it and give the full report. (bass was a hair under $1500 for those wondering).

-pd

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I just called downstairs and Satan is looking for some wool underwear.;)