1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apeg PR-410 drivers in 410HLF cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 98dvl, May 7, 2010.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    So,

I realize that Ampeg designs their drivers for specific cabinets...

I've got an Ampeg 410HLF cabinet, with 4 blown drivers (2 have dead voice coils, the other two have the spiders separated from the cones). I picked up the cabinet for $75, hoping there wasn't as much wrong with it as there was (CraigsList parking lot deal - I figure the cab alone was worth that much). At the time, I didn't realize how hard it would be to find 4 drivers (at the same time, and at a decent price - I found some in Atlanta, but could never get in touch with the guy :() for this cabinet on the used market. I could order 4 new drivers, but I might was well buy a new cab for what that costs.

Just saw a guy here locally who's got 4 drivers from an Ampeg PR410HLF... I realize they're different model drivers (different voice coils, different magnets, different impedance)... But, for $150, is it REALLY going to cause problems? He just had them re-coned (at a legit place in town). Pretty sure the re-coning cost more than $150... But, I just hope that doesn't mean the voice coils are going to be problematic. For $38 a speaker, it may be worth taking a chance.

I'm not picky about my tone like most. If it sounds good, I can live with it. Putting these drivers in would make the cabinet 8 ohms (I think), and ideally, that would be better, because then I could match it up with my Ampeg 4x8, if I ever needed to...

Just curious if anyone ever put in different drivers, and if you noticed a HUGE change in tone from the original configuration... I figure, if anything, I can keep them in until the right drivers come along to replace them... The only thing I don't/wouldn't want, is to blow up my amp because of something like this.... I'm thinking I'll be OK, but just wanted to make sure.

2. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Stick them in there and close your eyes, fire it up... $150 bucks, great if they are good. The PR speakers are KILLERS.

BOB

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    plus right now ya got a cab that aint working, stick those re-coned drivers in there and Voila! working cab and hopefully a good tone that'll work for you. A dude in Houston had a PR410 for sale at $250, I shoulda picked it up. Let us know how it works out.

4. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Will do...

Funny thing, is that I picked up a vintage (70's or so) Ampeg cab a while back for $65... It's not in the greatest shape, but, the only "real" problem (other than broken casters and a broken grill frame/torn mesh) was that one of the cones had a hole in it... I just haven't gotten around to getting it re-coned, otherwise, I could have thrown those four speakers in this new cab to try it out. With the scratch I'll be saving, I may just have to take it in to get the work done (maybe they can fix the other problem speakers too).