Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

apeg svt 4x10 hlf help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Dec 30, 2003.

1. so i go to gc, and buy a new svt 4x10 hlf. i come home and i hook up my cheapey 100watts head (i was going to use it till i got a power amp iam switching to a preamp power amp setup).well i didnt even play for 10 mins and i blew the fuse, i replaced it and when i tuned it on and it would do is make a werid sound threw the speakers. i tried two cabs and two differnt cables. no luck, my dad is bring the head to get fixed if it can, well i wanted to see if my cab was messed up so i got my little fender pratice amp, it has a ext speaker jack so i plug my cab in to that.well i ended up blowing up the fender amp after like 15 mins. from every thing i have red on this site they say u cant hurt a cAb or head by sending not enough power to a cab. i didnt even have the volume pass 9 o clock 2 or 3 ish. do u guys think there some thing wroung with my cab or i was just dumb for trying to use wat i did as a head.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What 100 watt head do yo have? I doubt your little fender practice amp can run 2 ohms. The SVT-410HLF is a 4 ohm cabinet. I'm sure that your fender amp can only do 4 ohms, so thats where that would be blown.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What cheapy head did you blow...the brains of your Carvin combo? I think that those have a minimum rated impedance of 8 ohms. The 4 ohm Ampeg would toast the amp if you ran it too long, too hard.

4. the carvin head says 100 watts 4 / 8 ohms on the back. o well so i guess i just did some thing really dumb. does any one know any thign about nady power amps, i was looking at getting one till i get more money.