Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aphex 204 and last night's gig.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I finally broke down and succumbed to the Aphex 204 hype and bought one. Seeing Nathan East's picture in their BP ad pushed me over the edge. I futzed around with it in front of my WT-300, and it did beef up the ol' D-210XLT with some extra bottom. They key is not to overdo it.

Anyway, I bought it for my small PA, which consists of a Mackie 1604 VLZ running into a pair of Mackie SR 1530's. On board in the rack is a Digitech Studio Twin effects unit, dbx 2215 equalizer/noise gate, dbx 1066 compressor, and now the Aphex 204. The Digitech is all by itself in the effects loop, while everthing else is looped into the main insert, in this order:send>compressor>EQ>Aphex>return. Yes, the EQ belongs after the compressor. You can put the Aphex before or after the EQ, with a mild recommendation for before.

Our gig last night was a private party indoors, 100 people max. We didn't want to lug a lot of gear, so the acoustic guitar, rhythym guitar and bass all left our stage amps at home and went directly to the board. The lead guitar brought his stage amp and DI'd it to the board, as well (nyuk nyuk nyuk). I ran my bass through my Shure UT with no effects, preamp or DI between it and the channel strip.

However, I did use the Big Bottom half of the Aphex's channel two as a direct insert into my (bass) channel strip. I kept the aural exciter half turned off. This worked very well. With just a moderate amount of drive, it really filled out the bottom end of those 15's in the SA 1530's (I know, I know ... 15's suck. And yes they do.). The bass was the only thing receiving the big bottom effect.

Then, I used only the aural exciter half of channel one in the main insert chain described above (big bottom off). Again, the Aphex really shines here. It really made the vocals much more crisp, and put them right on top of the mix. The key, again, is a little dab'll do ya.

Bottom line, money well spent. For small gigs like this, we cut way down on humping tons of gear, we being old farts, and all.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I think this post was too informative. I know I don't have any questions.

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Wow...I may just buy that.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Another product that sounds awesome, incredibly useful, and inapplicable to me. Cool, I'll not be needing one, but I'm glad it works for those who do... congrats on a valuable purchace. :D

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Cool. And thanks for spoiling my record.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the very cool review. My band plays in some real small venues, so that could really help.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cool... wouldn't have been my fault if you didn't like it. :p Iv'e been trying not to hype the 204 too much, but I like the damn thing.

8. I may buy one for my Fieldy bass to run through....

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    As much as that thought nauseates me, it might actually help. You can use the Big Bottom effect to bloat up the low end, then use the Aural Enhancer to augment that eardrum-piercing clicky sound. Go for it, Dude!

10. Actually, I don't own a Fieldy...

But, I have been VERY curious about the 'ole 204. I'm kinda hanging out and maybe waiting for the price to drop a tad. $299 isn't too much but only 2 Franklins would be a lot cooler.

Ya never know, I may need a good Christmas present to myself....

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    If you play your cards right, you can get it for $250.

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Just what I need, another gadget...gotta fill up the space in my rack!