1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aphex 204 Rackmount Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    So i just got my Aphex 204 Optical Big Bottom/Aural Exciter rackmount compressor. I must say, i'm pretty impressed by it. It was well worth replacing the BBE Optostomp. I find that the Big Bottom focuses on the bass and the Aural Exciter focuses on mids. The sustain is incredible with my already awesome sustain on my Rick :] I can make notes last forever.

here's a soundclip. It's not that noticeable but it just helps your tone out a little more :]
    http://media.putfile.com/aphex1

DSCN1501.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW it's not exactly a compressor. There is some compression in the Big Bottom function, but it is a sidechained process that affects only certain low frequencies and is blended only in small increments with the uncompressed signal.

That's not meant to take away from it's coolness or good qualities though! I'm just finicky about the terms. ;)

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I believe you are right but it's a great tool for compressing anyways! It shapes the tone a little bit in a lot of ways but it only enhances the sound. :]

4. bongo is right... its not a compressor!!!
    i have the same unit at home... it works wonders on some old synths or keyboards... even samples or in mastering processes... i tried it on my bass but my bass doesn't need enhancing cuz it sounds strong as it is

but all in all its a great tool!!! for me it works better that any pedal version!!!

5. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Interesting - so it is more than the bass xciter pedal in a rack form? (and from the looks, x2)

I <heart> my xciter.

I rececntly coupled it up with an optostomp and its sounding very nice I must say. Mega huge wall of bass.

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Alright alright, i'll change the title, but it does a nice job at compressing even though it's not meant for it! :p

7. mntallpaul

mntallpaul Supporting Member

I run my Aphex 204 into my effects loop of a Ampeg SVT5 pro. Adds quite a bit of punch and clarity to the tone.
    Two thumbs up! :bassist:

Dave Neal likes this.
  8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I told you it wasn't a compressor. :p

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Yes, and more expensive as you get the second channel...that you probably don't need. I have my bass amp in a rackmounted flight case and wanted a rack mount xciter but could not justify the extra cost (especially after my local music store sold me a 'scratch and dent' xciter pedal quite cheaply)

I find with the exciter that I neither use the footswitch nor adjust the controls. I just leave it on all of the time. For this reason, I permanently mounted it at the back of my flight case therby leaving me a free rack space for some other goodie :)

Dave Neal likes this.
  10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

I may need the 2nd channel if i ever figure out a way to use it on both my Sansamp and my GK2001... but that's one tough cookie to crumble! :atoz:

Oh i still need to post soundclips... i shall today!

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    soundclip up

12. Sweet. Say if you were Bi-Amping, could you run one channel for one head, the second for the other, both at the same time, or would you need two units?

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Nope, it has two channels on the Aphex :]